Any Military Recruiters here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
Like it says. I have some general questions for a friend of mine, and the limited number of recruiters in MO seem hell bent on being useless.

Doesnt really matter what branch, but if we have a Coast Guard recruiter on here even better.

What does he want to do in the Coast Guard? If he wants most of the same benefits and a lot better pay, have him check out Military Sealift Command. He'll still be a civilian with a Fed job, but much better living conditions, pay rates, benefits, etc.

PM Me for more details

Side question for anyone considering the Coast Guard:

The Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security, therefore there are some benefits military personnel qualify for that Coast Guard cannot. Are any of these significant to consider before entering the Coast Guard?

The one I recently discovered was Coast Guard cannot use some spousal benefits for education. Not sure if there are other programs they wouldn't be eligible for.

Food for thought.

dallasdb said:
Side question for anyone considering the Coast Guard:

The Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security, therefore there are some benefits military personnel qualify for that Coast Guard cannot. Are any of these significant to consider before entering the Coast Guard?

The one I recently discovered was Coast Guard cannot use some spousal benefits for education. Not sure if there are other programs they wouldn't be eligible for.

Food for thought.

I know that the Coast Guard allows you to transfer you GI bill to your spouse or children as long as you obligate, or have served at least 10 years. I also know that I received family separation pay on my deployments that we're over 30 days. You will still receive hazard pay in certain areas over seas.

Tnoodle said:
I know that the Coast Guard allows you to transfer you GI bill to your spouse or children as long as you obligate, or have served at least 10 years. I also know that I received family separation pay on my deployments that we're over 30 days. You will still receive hazard pay in certain areas over seas.

The spousal benefits I found didn't work for Coast Guard are the MyCAA benefits. It is like tuition assistance for spouses and it doesn't tap into your GI Bill.

That's probably true, I haven't heard of that program. Sound pretty good though. I do know that in the CG you can live off base as an E3 and receive basic allowance for housing, where as in the army and marine corps you couldn't live off base unless you were married or made a certain rank. As an E4 I was pulling in around $1500 every 2 weeks, and that was my regular check. I made even more on my deployments getting a daily allowance. I did a mission in Hawaii for 3 weeks and got $120 a day.

I'm currently 2 years into my 6 year enlistment with the Navy. I may be able to answer some questions.

His problem is that he used to be Law Enforcement, for the past eight years. He got into some mess with another officer and long story short, he took a plea deal on a class one misdemeanor. They put him on a year of probation, and of course this cost him his job. Now he is having no luck finding any job and has a family to support.

He could have fought, he probably would have won, but if he lost it meant a Felony and no chance of ever getting his career back. He took the smart road and accepted their offer, taking a felony off the table.

He's caught in a mess.

First of all ( off topic), good afternoon Chief! I saw the picture of you and the SWMBO and congrats on making it 20 and retiring. I grew up in Woodbury, MN which I believe is pretty close to you. I will post mine up probably later today.
- EM3 Darling
( On topic) That is a very difficult situation and he WILL definitely need a waiver. Waivers are not as easy to come by as they once were. Regardless, he needs to talk to a recruiter. I wish him the best of luck though.

His problem is that he used to be Law Enforcement, for the past eight years. He got into some mess with another officer and long story short, he took a plea deal on a class one misdemeanor. They put him on a year of probation, and of course this cost him his job. Now he is having no luck finding any job and has a family to support.

He could have fought, he probably would have won, but if he lost it meant a Felony and no chance of ever getting his career back. He took the smart road and accepted their offer, taking a felony off the table.

He's caught in a mess.

That can be tough but since it isn't a felony then he can most likely get a waiver. The ***** of the situation is that right now recruits with waivers require more paperwork than those without, and since most branches are getting high quality recruits easily and are also about to start cutting back means he is going to have less of a change to get in than others.

However, his years with the police is a plus and could help him out. But only a recruiter can give him the info he really needs. Best of luck to him, the Coast Guard was my second choice.

I've got 6 years, and counting, in the Marines.

Back