simplicity recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done any of their recipes but their products are fantastic. I won first place for the american ale category with an amber that used D-45, shared with them and they sent me 10 lbs of different syrups and I haven't found one that isn't great.

That is very cool. I just bottled a Belgian strong with their dark syrup. But it wasn't their recipe.

I just bottled a modified Duvel recipe from them using Simplicity so I'm not yet sure how it turned out. I did make their Westvleteren 12 clone last year with D-180 which became a phenomenal brew!

I'm looking at their Belgian pale and some of the others. It's amazing how such flavor comes from such simple recipes.

Doesn't help right now but I am about to brew the Westvleteren 8 recipe. I am gonna tread lightly on casting the decoction into a already hot pan to scald the mash. Kinda worried about what is too much and end up with a burned bitter flavor. But hey, still gonna try it just to try it. Live a little, right?

I saw that there was a decoction in their Dubbel also. I've never done one so until I watch someone else do one I'll pass.

Meh, what's to be afraid of? this will be my first time decoction mashing. That's half of the adventure, right? Watch this video... Well all three parts...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made the Belgian pale. Pretty straight forward. But I'm excited to try it. Thanks for the link to the videos.

Denny, what is your opinion on some of the recipes that scald the decoction mash in a hot pot instead of bring it to a boil slowly? My concern is how much of a margin for error is there from browning the mash and burning it?

Denny said:
Considering some of those recipes are mine, I'd say I've successfully brewed and enjoyed them! ;)

They looked great that's why I posted. Thanks for sharing them. I love Belgians and the flavors they have. And the syrups are easier than making my own invert sugar.

Denny, what is your opinion on some of the recipes that scald the decoction mash in a hot pot instead of bring it to a boil slowly? My concern is how much of a margin for error is there from browning the mash and burning it?

At first thought, that seems like a bad idea, but I haven't actually looked at the recipes that do that. Could you give me a link, then I'll comment? BTW, I don't think much if decoctions in general. My experience is that unless you do a rigorous triple decoction, you don't really get enough from them to be worth the time and effort. Even the effects of a triple decoction can be minimal.

The Westvleteren 12 clone is one that mentions this. Halfway down in the section labeled a note on decoction.

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_12_clone_-_017a.pdf

Thanks for the link. I guess I have a couple comments. First, if it works to duplicate flavor and there are no off flavors, then I guess it's the right thing to do. Second, after consulting BLAM, it doesn't look like Westvleteren does decoctions. That makes sense to me since almost no Belgian breweries do. I think that the homebrew recipe is an attempt to recreate a flavor that the real thing gets through other means.

Latest posts

Back