Airlock activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
SO this is like my 10th batch, first partial mash. It was a Belgian Wit with Wyeast 3944. Bag swelled and used AHS yeast nutrient per directions. Didn't have enough time to do a starter so I just pitched one bag with yeast nutrient. Today I checked the airlock and no activity at the 18hr. mark. shined a light on the out side of the bucket and it looks like there was some krausen that rised and fell. My question is what happened? Did I... 1. Have a leak and that's why there's no airlock activity? 2. Get an infection even though I'm super meticulous? 3. Just have a super fast fermentation?? Thoughts and advice what to do?

patience is a virtue, that's what I figure, but I would think with the nutrient and healthy yeast it should have started quicker, although I'm used to under 12hr. start times and it's possible that the lag is due to a lower OG than I'm used to. thanks for the advice

Do you use an anti-foaming agent such as Fermcap? I ALWAYS use this and get very little visible activity but always full attenuation. The only way to tell is to wait and take a gravity sample. I've had brews that actually showed NO activity and they came out great. This is one benefit of using a starter as you can be sure you're yeast is healthy and ready for the big dance.

Push down a little on the lid. Did it cause the airlock to bubble? If so, no leak. If you have a little cheap vodka in the airlock, having a little suck back into the beer won't be an issue.

I would just be patient with it. I've had a couple that took a little longer to start up, but they turned out fine.

Could just have a long lag time due to underpitching, or you could have had a very fast ferment (especially if the temp was a little warm). Do you have a hydrometer? If you do and really want to know what's going on, take a sample and check the gravity. If it's still high, you're in lag time. If it's low, then you've had fermentation. Either way, no need to sweat it.

I had the same issue once with the smack pack in a wheat beer as well. I just pitched after the bag filled up. It sat for a week no bubbling, I thought maybe the airlock was bad but it was not by the end of it, I thought it smelled so bad I threw it out. If you want to pull the lid off and see if there is foam inside then it's working. The bucket lids are notorious for improper sealing. I have also had problems getting it fermenting if it's to cold or fluctuation in temperature. If you didn't properly aerate it that could be an issue as well.

K so a little update, I think it was the lid not sealing, cause even though I got it to bubble when I pressed on it, I had zero airlock activity. Being impatient at the 48 hr. mark I decided to sanitize my sample tube for my refractometer and pop open the bucket. As I slowly pealed open the lid I saw a hefty Krausen and sealed it back up with out taking the reading. Now it's just a waiting game, but here's where I have one last question. First time brewing a belgian wit and I know they are typically meant to be drank young, I also know that people who bottle are going to have that beer sit in bottles 2+ more weeks than if I kegged at the same time. My question is will my beer be any better giving it that extra 2 weeks in the primary? Or should I just give it the 3 weeks I planned on and then transfer to the keg and set it and forget it to carb? Thanks again for easing my concerns. :mug:

K so a little update, I think it was the lid not sealing, cause even though I got it to bubble when I pressed on it, I had zero airlock activity. Being impatient at the 48 hr. mark I decided to sanitize my sample tube for my refractometer and pop open the bucket. As I slowly pealed open the lid I saw a hefty Krausen and sealed it back up with out taking the reading. Now it's just a waiting game, but here's where I have one last question. First time brewing a belgian wit and I know they are typically meant to be drank young, I also know that people who bottle are going to have that beer sit in bottles 2+ more weeks than if I kegged at the same time. My question is will my beer be any better giving it that extra 2 weeks in the primary? Or should I just give it the 3 weeks I planned on and then transfer to the keg and set it and forget it to carb? Thanks again for easing my concerns. :mug:

You could keg it as soon as it hits final gravity, but 3 weeks to keg, set and forget, will work fine, even for the wit. That tends to be how I do things as well, so it must be right. :drunk:

First, a bucket can have a leak small enough to prevent the airlock from bubbling, and yet it will bubble when you push on it.

I had the same problem with one of my buckets. I thought no activity, so I popped the lid and looked inside, and it looked like there had been Krausen, so I took a whiff and burned my nose on the CO2.

I'm sure it's fine. I replaced the lid with a new one, because even though I know the airlock is not supposed to be used to determine fermentation activity, I still like to see it bubble.

You could keg it as soon as it hits final gravity, but 3 weeks to keg, set and forget, will work fine, even for the wit. That tends to be how I do things as well, so it must be right. :drunk:

Yeah I just typically give my beer at least a total of 6 weeks in primary or in conjunction with a secondary to help clear and let the yeast clean some of the less desirable flavors and another 2 in the bottles. So 3 weeks seems rushed but I'm new to kegging and as long as my beer doesn't suffer any ill effects at 3 weeks, I guess it just means more time for brewing!

Back