CFC temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
When using a 25 foot CFC with the water on full, is it safe to assume that the wort will be chilled to approximatley the temperature of the hose water?

Depends how fast you run the wort through it. My 25' CFC gets the wort down to 64F with the tap water running at practically a trickle. But I use gravity to feed the chiller so the wort moves through very slowly giving lots of contact time.

I just did a test on this yesterday with my 30 foot CFC and the answer is yes - the wort should get to virtually the same temp as your tap water. I have a Blichmann Thrumometer and my wort came out at 76F with the hose on full blast and 74F if I restricted the wort flow to increase contact time. Then after it was done, I used an adapter to run the hose into the top of the CFC to flush it out and the Thrumometer read 74F. In winter a different story - same as bradsul - I only turn it on a trickle. But yesterday the air temperature was in the 90s, so I was lucky to get the wort down to 74F.

how long does it normally take you transfer the wort into the fermenter using just gravity? I was nervous about not using a pump or a wort wizard.

It takes me a little under 20 minutes to gravity drain 23L (~6G) into my primary. It used to take that long to chill using my immersion chiller but then I still had to syphon.

Back