Steam Beer Extract Kit (Brewers Best)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I bought the kit a week ago before trying Anchor Steam Beer. After trying it, there seemed to be a after taste that neither my gf or I liked.. other than that it was good beer.

I believe it's in the hops used for bittering. 1 full ounce to be exact.

If I tone it down a little by only putting in 1/2 ounce and then 1/2 ounce for finishing hops...

What is the expected outcome?

I realize it won't be as bitter but will it totally throw off the final product?

thanks
Jake

I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm going to cut it in half for both bittering and finishing hops.

I'm probably done with BB kits as well. I have one more after this left, and that's a BB Irish Stout kit.

I'm curious to know how this turns out. I was done with Brewer's Best before I even started. I opened the box, looked at the recipe and though "Hmmm, I'm gonna need to change this." A trip to the NSLHBS (Not so local home brew store) yielded everything I needed to hopefully make it a winner. Brewing this Thursday is my Stout is ready to rack. My major complaint was the hop profile.

Hey.... easy on the BB kits. A lot of folks have cut their brew teeth with them and I still have to make some because of folks requests. I've tweaked them a little and don't follow their directions to a T but for the price compared to buying ingredients outright I think they are a pretty good bargain. Hey BADS - on that Irish Stout, split that batch in half at bottling time (2.5 gal), add two cups of Irish Mist Liqueur and maybe 1 oz of priming sugar (this is an adjustment from the amount I used, reduced) and you will not believe the outcome!! Big hit with the bagpipers St Patty's Day at our Irish Pub.

i love my brewers best.....I do ad stuff to them. I made their english ale & added 5 lbs of rasberries during fermentation....

I did their california imperial ale kit. it is bottle aging in the basement right now. their kolsch kit is good too.

I would like to do other recipes but i have run out of bottles. Thank god my brother just got 20 cases of bottles

I put in 1/2 the hops for 60 minutes and the second half (.5 ounce) in with 5 minutes left. I also dropped in a wirfloc tablet at 20minute left.

It's in the primary and fermenting away.

A couple weeks from now I'll take a gravity reading.

Latest posts

Back