Will this fridge work for fermentation/lagering chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgsmit

Smithaus Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SO... I'm supposed to pick up a fridge next weekend for my new under-the-workbench fermentation/lagering chamber.

The chamber is going to be about 4.5x2ft in size with the intention of having three chambers... two for different fermenting temps and the main chamber for lagering (main chamber being part fridge).

Question; The fridge I'm picking up is one of the mini fridges WITHOUT the freezer inside of it. Initially I figured that's great; don't need to bend it down! But now I'm wondering if this fridge will get cold enough for lagering as it was never intended to be able to get down that low and it will be cooling a larger area to begin with.

Do the fridges with the little freezer compartments cool to lower temps than the ones without freezer compartments, or will I be just fine with the mini fridge sans freezer seeing how I'm controlling it with electronic temp regulators?

Thanks all!

The average refrigerator can get temperatures into the 35-40 degree range. That should be close enough for lagering.

Is there any way you can use this fridge for fermenting your ales if it doesn't reach your desired temperature?

Back