Which bines should i cut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
I was out of town for the past week and was happy to see that my 2nd year chinook plant sprouted while I was gone. It has 1 very large bine and 4 smaller bines growing. Because I was gone, I don't know which was the first to sprout. I'm assuming the biggest was first, so I'm inclined to prune that one off, but I'm also hesitant to cut the strongest bine off. Any idea which bines i should prune?

image-3870787254.jpg

Let them all grow for a while and pick the two or three strongest to train onto your rope, cord or whatever you use. I use three per rope.

Hate to say this but because of the supermild spring we have had this year in the midwest, my third year chinook is over 6 feet tall already.

Sounds good and thanks for the responses. My chinook is a bit behind yours because it's in a 20 gal pot and I live @ 8000ft so it's just getting warm enough for the perennials to bloom up here. It's a tough sacrifice to make in order to ski 100+ days a year! :mug:

zrule said:
Hate to say this but because of the supermild spring we have had this year in the midwest, my third year chinook is over 6 feet tall already.

Got ya beat, centennial @ 8+ no joke. :)

Yeah, let them grow a while and get some strength before cutting them. Then chose the best 2 bines to keep.

Latest posts

Back