Kolsch Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
I'm brewing German Kolsch for the first time. (hell first batch)....

anyway, i put in in the second fermenter and was wondering if anyone had any pics of that stage. I have a gut feeling that i did something wrong, and want to see what yall have is what i have brewing myself.

EDIT: yesss.... i know i cant spell.

thanks in advance!

Is there a reason you are concerned? Typically we just advise that you follow the process, then RDWHAHB - or a regular brew in your situation.

rdwj said:
Is there a reason you are concerned?

actaully yeah..... it's supposed to start "clearing" up in 5 - 7 days. Thats no big deal, that's not till next saturday.

it's more that the top fo the carboy is...well "flat." There are no bubbles, like i've seen in other pictures....
well there are bubbles, but it's not where near the foam that i see in other pictures.

I was just wondering if it's a Kolsch thing or maybe i killed the yeast....or *sigh* i dunno :p.

In the secondary, you don't usually have any bubbles at all and your yeast has already done it's duty. Sometimes you get a little activity, but it's rare.

Sounds like you're fine - give it it's two weeks or so to clear and bottle it!!

If it hasn't been 5-7 days and you've transferred already you may be rushing things a bit. I'm sure everything will be fine. Did you take a FG reading before you transferred? RDWHACB (CB=craft brew in this case)

JJ, take a look the link down in my sig. It was my first AG and a Kolsch as well.

The last slide in the slide show is a MPG motion file. You can see how cloudy it was. Mine remained cloudy for some time in the secondary and I (after about 10 days) transferred it to a keg (terciary) and let it sit in the cold garage for about another week. What started out as a wild cloudy mess eventually cleared into the clearest, lightest beer I've done to date.

Two important ingredients:

A) Time. Give a Kolsch time to rest. Minimum 3-4 weeks in a secondary.
2) Cold. Get that secondary someplace cold and let that yeast settle out.

Here is what it looked like about 1 hour post pitch. When I bottled, it was the color of a light pilsner.

Truble_A.jpg

Back