Fermentation Chamber Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGREDIOWAN

Reaction score
So I'm already planning my second batch of beer as my first one has turned out okay. I obviously want to get better and better at this and realize besides sanitation, temperature control is key as well. So if I went out and bought a chest freezer to turn into a fermentation chamber, would all I need to buy besides the freezer are some Johnson Controls? I don't have a ton of time to devote to making a fermentation chamber from scratch so this sounds like it would be the best option for me. I'm sure I could lager in it as well correct?

Yep, a temperature controller and a fridge or freezer is all you need for fermentation temperature control. Plug the controller into the wall, plug the refrig/freezer into the controller, put the temperature probe from the controller inside refrig/freezer, set the temp on the controller and you're done. They have analog and digital ones, like the ones here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ng-equipment/fermentation-temperature-control

But you can pick one of these up anywhere online, ebay, other homebrew retailers, etc. And you can definitely lager in one of these.

Good to hear, thanks for the info. Looks like this will be the way I go, now to find a cheap freezer. Craigslist here I come!

Question? With a small chest freezer with a temp controller is there a concern about condensation build up at fermentation temps? What are the options for keeping that to a minimum? I ask because I am planning on getting a 5-6 cu. ft chest freezer for ferm control

Back