High Ferment Temp Causing Off Flavours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how warm. A little too warm you'd probably get some estery (banana) flavors. Way too warm (80 +) and you could get powerful alcohol flavors, oxidation (cardboard), and solvent flavor.

Phenols are usually found from chlorine bleach interactions from what I've read.

debtman7 said:
Phenols are usually found from chlorine bleach interactions from what I've read.

What you are thinking of is a certan type of phenols; chlorophenols.

Phenols in general come from the yeats and are sometimes desirable. hefeweizen yeast IS adept at producing pneols that taste like cloves.

However, I have seen nothing that indicates that temperature has any affect on phenol production by the yeast.

-walker

The worst temperature-induced off flavor that I've encountered was a result of using lager yeast at ale temperatures. The beer was ok, but it wasn't great. Sometimes, those flavors enhance a beer, and other times...not so much.

Back