Newbie Question - Recommended Starter Kit/Website

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renay98

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I apologize if there is a thread here regarding this already. I tried to do a search and didn't get anything to match.

My husband and both enjoy wine and have discussed making our own on several occasions and I would like to get him a "starter kit" for Christmas.

I did a search online and have found several options as well as a kit at our local home brew store.

I guess my questions are:
Will a pre-assembled kit be worth it?
Is there cost savings in just ordering the items I need?
If I don't get a "kit" what exactly do I need to get started?

If anyone can direct me to some good websites for beginners that would be awesome as well!

Or even if there is a "FAQ" or a newbie needs to know thread in here I'd appreciate a point in that direction.

Thanks in advance!
Christina

You can buy a basic starter kit for just over $100 though I see at least the rubber stopper and airlock as well as the plastic tubing for racking missing from this setup. If you decide to go with a starter kit like this, do your research and make sure you get everything you need. I'd be very disappointed to buy this kit and find I was still missing some essential items like the ones I mentioned above.

This starter kit from Midwest appears to have everything, though I'd get the upgrade for the double lever corker.

I'd also buy some basic chemicals like potassium metabisulfite, campden tablets, acid blend, tannin, and yeast energizer and get4-5 packages of dry yeast.

From there you can buy a good beginner's wine kit in a box for under $100, including shipping, or make your own country wine from sugar, fruit juice or concentrate for $20 or so.

Good luck!

Through research and comparison of prices of items included, and comparing shipping prices, I found that Quality Wine and Ale Supply was the best deal for me for getting a complete wine setup, including a kit. I wouldn't recommend them for follow-up individual items like chemicals or single pieces of equipment, though. If you can find a home brew shop nearby (called an LHBS, or Local Home Brew Shop), I would copy the list of items at Quality's website, and try to find them all at your LHBS, as it would be undoubtedly cheaper. I haven't any LHBS shops within 90 miles, so I have to get all my stuff online. It's expensive to pay five bucks shipping for a two dollar airlock.

I think Jack Keller said that one should learn to make wine from scratch first, and then try a kit wine, but that's hard to tell anyone who hasn't a little experience. I know I would never have gotten into wines and meads without doing the kit first, as it seemed a daunting task to learn how to make wine from scratch. The kit seems easier, and it is, but in my own personal experience, I have found that I like what I make from scratch way more than I have made from a kit.

I encourage you to try to make mead, as it is easier to do, again, in my personal experience, but it takes a LOT longer to allow the product to age before even beginning to assume its full potential. I have found, quite simply, that mead is far more versatile, complex, and just downright tastier, than mere fruit wine.

The cheapest ingredient in home winemaking recipes is also the most important: patience. It is also the hardest one to add in the correct quantities.

My experiences only, and I am far from a master vintner. Good luck; this is a great hobby.

I bought the basic kit from www.finevinewines.com, it came with everything I needed, plus some things that just makes life easier. Also if you buy an equipment kit from him, you get 10% off of a wine kit. The equipment kit and wine kit including S/H cost me $190.00.

Thank you very much for your input......I'm really excited about getting this for him and getting started. Hopefully he'll enjoy it as much as I am already!

Since you are in Illinois, I'd consider Harrington Press, based out of Peoria, IL. His prices are good ... as is his advice. Google Harrington Press or type in harringtonpress.com.

He offers a basic starter kit with a wine kit as a complete package.

My local homebrew place I just picked up a starter kit for my Dad, 83 dollars! for a 7.9 gallon bucket and a 6 gallon better bottle along with corks, brush etc.. you also get 5% off your first kit, www.nthomebrew.com

I have a home brew store about 10 miles away...I think I'm going to go check it out when they open today just to check pricing.....

Thanks so much for all of the advice..I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after Christmas when we are trying to make our first batch.

I guess on that note...I know one of the posters suggested making our own before using a kit .......any other input on that? I hadn't really given much thought to ingrediant kits...just the equipment. Maybe a book or something to add to the gift?

I think country wines (wines made from fruit) are great. Theyr'e inexpensive and made from ingredients found at your local market or grocery store and it's where I honed skills that have resulted in many state and national wine and mead making awards. I found this inexpensive little book to be invaluable when I first began:

Winemakers Recipe Handbook (also known as the Little Purple Winemaking Book)

Naw, I wouldn't say that country wines should be first.

Kits are 100% foolproof, country wines can be wrecked pretty easily.

I'm pretty happy I made 3 or 4 kits before attempting a country wine, it gave me some well-needed confidence, and a bit of "wine-smarts" to be able to alter a recipe.

You will be fine with a good kit and a starter set. Just think of all the cool stuff your husband will be able to buy to keep going in this new hobby!!!!!

That's half the fun!!!

Thank you all again......I think I'll order the recipe book and a kit.

That way we can start during the holiday break and he can choose something else for the next batch!

No bottles included with that kit, as well as a carboy brush, bottle brush, stir paddle, racking cane. You need about 30 750 ml bottles for 6 gallons.

I was just checking craigslist for bottles and I can get 15 of them from one guy for ten bucks....and a couple of my friends will use 15 more bottles LONG before any wine would be ready.........I'll order one of the other kits if this one doesn't have what I need.....I would just like to patronize a local if it was about the same cost for me.

Dont buy bottles!

You will have lots of friends donate them to you, eventually you will have 5 extra cases in your garage and a couple sitting on the kitchen counter awaiting cleaning, not that I would know!

As far as brushes and spoons etc. those are the things you get to buy in time.

The Wildberry Shiraz is kick-a$$ for a red or the Peach chardonnay for a white is unbelievably good. Not really a "wine", more of a flavored wine, but the process is still the same.

I'll second Doctor's comment. Just put out the word that you're looking for people to donate bottles. Most of them will just toss them or recycle them anyway. A good incentive is to let them have a bottle or two after the brew is done!

I am happy to say I went ahead and purchased the kit from my home brew store on Tuesday. I got everything I needed and a Orchard Breez'n Blueberry Shiraz kit.

My husband prefers a dry wine but will drink both. I will not drink a really dry wine so for his first batch he'll make something that we can both drink.....after that, then he can make anything he likes!

I am glad that we have a knowledge filled store owner and supplies within 15 minutes of my house!

Thanks to everyone for their input! I'm sure we'll be back after Christmas with questions and seeking more advice. I hope everyone has a happy holidays and don't over indulge in your hobby!

Back