Kegging for storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dloucks

Reaction score
I've got a RIS that I brewed about 5 weeks ago sitting in primary. I really want to hold off drinking this thing until later in the year. I would like to free up the fermenters, and get the RIS into a "set it and forget it" mode.

Is it possible to keg this and store it away for 6 months? If so, how much air should I apply to it? Obviously the more I put to it, the more the beer will absorbe, but there should still be enough left over to seal the keg? Does this have any impact on the aging process?

I would think that if you just pump it upto 20PSI, bleed the air off, then disconect, it should keep pretty well. As long as you are not keeping the gas connected, the pressure will not add much carbonation to your brew, as the head space does not contain enough to fully carbonate 5 galons of beer. That is what i plan to do with my Sasion in 2 weeks, and waiting a month longer before putting it in the fridge, and hooking it up to carb.

Once the lid has been seated, it doesn't really matter what the pressure is. There is no real impact on conditioning.

Is there a "prefered" temp for aging a RIS? I've got room (for now) in the kegerator to put the RIS but didn't know if there is a temp range that it should be left at while it ages.

I put my ales in the coolest room of the house to age.... Arround 60degrees.

my Lagers age in keg, in the keezer at 38.

I agree, I'd pressurize it to 20-30, bleed some off and repressurrize. This will give it a little pressure still once the beer absorbs some, it will keep temp changes from creating a negative pressure inside.

I also age in kegs, I keep them in the basement 60-70 during the summer.

Thanks guys this was a HUGE RIS and I was a little worried about the time/money involved then not getting to touch it for several months. I wanted to give it the best chance of "keeping".

Back