Alternatives to Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Ok I believe I have read so much about honey I have confused myself pretty well.

I am going to brew a Peach Wheat, or try to anyhow, at the request of SWMBO.

In an effort to increase the ABV I have a number of recipes that call for 1lbs of honey to be boiled 60 mins. In doing more research there are a number of people who say this is a bad idea. I am not looking to add any honey flavor whatsoever just boost the ABV of the final product. However I am leery of adding unfermentables to the brew.

Is there something else I should consider or is honey really ok? Would Maltodextrin be better? I have never used it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I don't know that adding honey is necessarily a "bad idea", but it is going to leave some flavor behind, which it sounds like you don't want.

Maltodextrin is (almost?) completely unfermentable, so adding it will not boost your ABV at all. It is usually added to boost mouthfeel and body without adding alcohol, which is the opposite of what you're going for.

Some LHBS offer alcohol booster packs that contain a mixture of maltose and dextrose that claim to increase ABV without changing flavor. I haven't used them, so I can't verify the claim, but if they really work I would think that's exactly what you need.

Otherwise, corn sugar would be a good option, but be careful not too add too much or you may end up with some cidery flavors. Corn syrup or rice syrup would probably be good alternatives as well.

Back