CO2 tank refill/swap question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basisforaday

Reaction score
So, I have a LHBS thats about 30 min from me that refills tanks and a welding supply place about 5-10 min from me that swaps out tanks. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go to the welding supply place and swap out my tank for one of thiers? Wouldnt this be better anyways since it would be a newer test date?

Prices are about the same.

It's really personal preference. A lot of people shy away from swaps because they have nice, shiny aluminum tanks and they want to keep them. However, if you have a used tank, or you just don't care, swapping tanks is every bit as good as getting a refill, plus you don't have to worry about hydro-testing your tanks if you swap them before the test is due!

I swap mine out . I bought two ugly/rusty steel tanks. I explain my use to the counter guy and asked for aluminum tanks . No problem I get nice shiny 20 lbs tanks every time.

Depends, really, on if you care what your tank looks like.

I swap out a 20# for $18 out the door at a welding supply, but the tank is always a crusty looking steel tank. Since mine hides under the bar, I don't care. Others might.

Swap is so much easier than waiting for a fill. I'm in and out in about 5 minutes, all told.

Back