Chocolate milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanTheMighty

Reaction score
I am planning a chocolate milk stout, as the title implies, but I was wondering what would be an appropriate amount of cocoa and lactose to add to my 5-galllon batch.

The cocoa is going to be powdered cocoa for baking. I'd like to be able to taste the chocolate, I was thinking I'd need more than one cup, maybe 1.25 cups.

I want to be able to taste the sweetness, but not too much. I have no experience with lactose, so I have no idea what would be appropriate for what I'm shooting for. I was thinking 1.5 cups, but I realize this could be overkill.

Anyone else experienced with cocoa/lactose, or both, I would love to hear your thoughts. All input would be greatly appreciated!

I prefer cocao nibs over cocoa powder by a large margin. Cocoa powder can be very bitter IME and the flavor isnt nearly as chocolatey as id like. I cover 4oz of the nibs in water, simmer for a minute, and toss that into the fermentor to further extract more flavor. This has worked very well for me

for lactose, I add it at the end of the boil. I started using a full lb (add +0.008 to your OG/FG for 5gal batch) but found it was too much for me so I usually go with 8oz now.

Well, you answered my next question, which was when to add the lactose!

With 8 ounces, did you get any sweetness to the flavor?

Well, you answered my next question, which was when to add the lactose!

With 8 ounces, did you get any sweetness to the flavor?

You can add it to the boil, fermenter, bottling bucket/keg.. doesnt matter.

I'd go ahead and do 8oz or so now, then if it's not sweet/full enough for you feel free to dissolve another 4-8oz and add with your priming sugar or to the keg.

I've found that 3 vanilla beans added with 3-4 oz cacao nibs cuts the bitterness of the nibs and gives a flavor closer to milk chocolate. I steep the beans (split and cut up) and nibs in vodka and dump the whole mess into the fermenter for the last week. I also use 12 oz of lactose in the boil. The result is thick, sweet and chocolatey.

Back