Married not even a half-year...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ring is white gold with a Celtic knot pattern etched around it. It's worn down a bit in some spots but has mostly held up well over almost 5 years.

When I bought my wife's engagement ring, I opted for a platinum band over a big, expensive rock. They said it was much much durable than gold. Two years later, she took it to the jeweler to get it cleaned, and they noticed that one prong on the diamond setting was completely worn down, and another was mostly worn. $350 to fix it. More durable, my a$$.

Something doesn't sound right. In the last 5 years the jewler has only needed to tighten the setting once for my wifes platinum ring. Does your wife do a lot of gardening with it on?

This is my wife's platinum wedding ring

image-1816016655.jpg

Something doesn't sound right. In the last 5 years the jewler has only needed to tighten the setting once for my wifes platinum ring. Does your wife do a lot of gardening with it on?

Not really, and she has a desk/phone job. I don't know if she scrapes it across the desktop all day long, but I'd think it should be strong enough to hold up to that.

SWMBO and I just recently tied the knot 2 weeks ago. I opted for a tungsten ring. I don't care for gold, and it has a very simple design on which I really like.

When sizing at the store, it felt "just right". When it came in, it felt 1/2 size too big. Of course, they didn't tell me it costs to resize tungsten! Damn! Everyday I feel like it'll just fall off my finger because of the issue.

I'm about to order a cheaper tungsten and lock the real first ring away before it's lost.

SWMBO and I just recently tied the knot 2 weeks ago. I opted for a tungsten ring. I don't care for gold, and it has a very simple design on which I really like.

When sizing at the store, it felt "just right". When it came in, it felt 1/2 size too big. Of course, they didn't tell me it costs to resize tungsten! Damn! Everyday I feel like it'll just fall off my finger because of the issue.

I'm about to order a cheaper tungsten and lock the real first ring away before it's lost.

Congrats.

I have had my titanium ring for 9 years. Still perfectly round even though I have been super hard on it. It has a copper and silver inlay, and most of the copper has worn away. That part sucks. I like the tungsten rings because they aren't supposed to scratch. I heard that they are actually better in case of a crush situation because they will break where the titanium will just end up bending and cutting your finger off. You are supposed to use vice grips set just a bit smaller than the ring, and squeeze it in three or four places and it will just shatter. Titanium has to be cut.

I've heard that the problem with tungsten rings is that if you bash your finger badly and end up in the hospital, it's much harder for them to remove than softer metals like gold or silver. If your finger has swollen due to an injury, they have to cut the ring off, and their tools don't work on tungsten, increasing the risk of amputating a finger that could have otherwise been saved.

So, uh, no thanks on the tungsten. I'll stick with nice, soft, white gold.

I've heard that the problem with tungsten rings is that if you bash your finger badly and end up in the hospital, it's much harder for them to remove than softer metals like gold or silver. If your finger has swollen due to an injury, they have to cut the ring off, and their tools don't work on tungsten, increasing the risk of amputating a finger that could have otherwise been saved.

While this is true, paramedics have learned that taking a hammer to the ring will shatter it harmlessly.

Tungsten is actually much easier to remove as it shatters. It also means its safer because it will shatter instead of bending in and cutting off your finger.

I liked the idea of a tungsten ring but figured I'd end up shattering. And the titanium cutting-off-ability freaked me.

I just went with white gold, and hope I don't ruin it. Only been 6 months, and it looks pretty nice!

Tungsten is actually much easier to remove as it shatters. It also means its safer because it will shatter instead of bending in and cutting off your finger.

So if I bang my finger in a car door and it swells up, and the paramedics show up and determine that my ring MUST come off if they're to save the finger, in what universe is it SAFER for them to start bashing at my already-broken finger with a hammer, to shatter my wedding ring? And am I liable for the obscenities I will undoubtably spew while they're doing so?

So if I bang my finger in a car door and it swells up, and the paramedics show up and determine that my ring MUST come off if they're to save the finger, in what universe is it SAFER for them to start bashing at my already-broken finger with a hammer, to shatter my wedding ring? And am I liable for the obscenities I will undoubtably spew while they're doing so?

I would rather bash my finger in a car door on the tungsten ring than onto the metal ring that severs my finger...

And if our politicians aren't liable for the crap that comes out of their mouth everyday, I think you are safe for whatever comes out of yours during a medical emergency. :D

P.S. I think they use a vice/pliers to compress and shatter the ring... not a hammer.

Lol
I can hear the EMT yelling for his partner to go grab the 20lb sledge to save your finger. :cross:

For what it is worth, as an EMT we carried a pair of vice grips in our bags just for Tungsten rings.

We would lightly clamp down on the ring and the tighten 1/8 of a turn while rotating 1/4 of a turn and the ring would break off into a couple pieces. I never personally did it, but saw it done in labs on the instructors own finger as well as in the bus after a traumatic injury call.

Back