URGENT:Pitch yeast or Make starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
Alright, today was one hell of a rough brew day. Murphy's law. Anyway, the starter that I made smelled real sour so I'm dumping it. The problem is that I've already brewed and the wort is chilling in the cooler now with no yeast. Should I pitch some yeast that I washed, or should I use that yeast and make another starter? If I make a starter will the wort still be good for 2-3 days?

If it were me, I'd leave it in the fridge, make a good new starter, then use Campdens 24 hours before pitching to make sure nothing other than your starter is populating your wort. If you're curious about the effects of the washed yeast, go for it. Experimentation is always cool by me.

Tell us about the beer, though. Someone may have more specific advice when OG and IBU etc. are provided.

Well, I added some dry lager yeast I had. 2 packets. This thing's a mess. I added some water to bring down my OG. 1/2 gallon. It was at 1.067, I wanted it at 1.056. I topped off with a half gallon, that brought me to 5g of wort. Now, I took a reading and it's at 1.042????!!!! Should I boil some DME and add it? if so how much? Or will it be fine?

Thanks Pitch. I got that too late. Here's my recipe.
My Starting gravity as previously mentioned was 1.042! Boiled for 70min. Mashed 80min

Fermentables
US Pilsen Malt 9lb 8oz (80.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
US White Wheat Malt 2lb 0oz (17.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 4.00 oz (2.1 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
German Perle (9.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 70 Min From End
Czech Saaz (3.0 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
Czech Saaz (3.0 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 1 Min From End
German Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

Other Ingredients
Irish Moss 1.00 oz used In Boil
Yeast Nutrient 1.00 oz used In Boil

Yeast: DCL W-34/70 Saflager

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)
Step: Rest at 151 degF for 75 mins

Recipe Notes

Alright, this was supposed to be a Kolsh, but I'm making it a lager and leaving it alone. Not how I planned to do my first lager, but we'll see.

Sounds like it'll be fine. I'm certain you'll love the Hallertau aroma; I know I do. Let us know if it mingles well with the Saaz.

Homebrewdad, I think you're original comment, at least the first part may have been right. If I didn't mix it well enough, which I probably didn't, I'd get a wrong reading.

Pitch, I'll keep this posted. I love Saaz and Hallertau.

Alright, today was one hell of a rough brew day. Murphy's law. Anyway, the starter that I made smelled real sour so I'm dumping it. The problem is that I've already brewed and the wort is chilling in the cooler now with no yeast. Should I pitch some yeast that I washed, or should I use that yeast and make another starter? If I make a starter will the wort still be good for 2-3 days?

I'm currious to know what yeast you made the original "sour smelling" starter from? I've had a lot of starters that smelled real sour. Especially lager yeast.. It might have been just fine!

it was a wyeast kolsch II yeast. I've never had one smell that way before, so I didn't want to risk it. I have another washed sample I'm going to make a starter from to see what it smells like. I just have to reorder the ingredients for another batch.

Well, took a gravity reading today it's at 1.016. I'm raising the temp to about 64* to let it finish. I'll then rack it to a keg and let it lager. It has some off flavors right now, I can't put my foot on them, sulfur, wet dog, ect. Nothing the lager time won't clean up I don't think. I'll keep this updated for those who care.

Alright, this thing has been lagering for some time now. It is fantastic. Nice bitterness that's balanced by some sweetness. Great hop aroma, but not overpowering. This is a good mix of hops. It's not as clear as I would like it, but it does have enough wheat in it to make it hazy.

I've entered this in two comps lately and it's placed in both. a 2nd and a 3rd. This beer turned out well. If I have to change one thing I'd mash a little cooler so it would dry out a bit more.

Back