Time Frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWavs

Reaction score
I just started a cider at 1.050 and want to stop it at 1.012ish in order to pasteurize. I used Nottingham Ale yeast. What type of time frame do you think I am looking going from 1.050 to 1.012?

I just started a cider at 1.050 and want to stop it at 1.012ish in order to pasteurize. I used Nottingham Ale yeast. What type of time frame do you think I am looking going from 1.050 to 1.012?

What temperature are you fermenting at?

Cheers

HW

I would not go on other peoples time frame. Something may be different about your set up compared to theirs. Check it daily, it will start out slow but once it gets up to speed it will ferment at a steady rate and you can then use that rate to figure out how long it will take before it will be where you want it.

I would not go on other peoples time frame. Something may be different about your set up compared to theirs. Check it daily, it will start out slow but once it gets up to speed it will ferment at a steady rate and you can then use that rate to figure out how long it will take before it will be where you want it.

Yea, figured on checking it daily. Was more interested on when to start checking it. Day 2...3...4...5...???

Only doing a 1 gallon test batch. Am I correct that after carbing it up, I can just place it in the fridge if I am still a little intimidated to try the pasteurization?

Sorry for all the questions but all I have ever done before is back sweeten with unfermentables so this is uncharted territory for me.

putting it in the fridge will just slow it down. leave it in there long enough and you will still get bottle bombs

Roger that...

I will pasteurize using the turkey fryer on the patio while wearing my 4 wheeler helmet, goggles, leather gloves, and leather jacket. :D

as long as you check the CO2 levels before you pasteurize and you do not get the water bath to hot you will not have any problems with the pasteurization process. I have read through all of the pages on the pasteurization sticky and every time there was a problem it was because some one did not follow the directions. The only other thing I have done to improve upon the process is I preheat the bottles with the hottest tap water I can get (soak them for about 10 minutes). This allows me to have my water bath start out around 175 rather than 190 and it doesn't cool as much when the bottles are added because they are already hot.

Latest posts

Back