Heart of Darkness Clone from AHS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarkinBanks

Reaction score
Anyone made this recipe from AHS? I would do the all-grain version if it matters. This beer was one that I fell in love with on tap in Burlington during my college years, and I can't get it here in PA. I would bottle it (no keg system.....yet), and wonder if that might hurt the result. I'm thinking this one needs to be on tap to reach its full potential. Thanks in advance.

You can't get it because they discontinued Heart of Darkness a few years ago. They sometimes brew it randomly as a special offering, but never on any schedule.

I, too, would be interested in any feedback on this, as I really liked HoD when they made it, and being able to make my own would be pretty nifty.

You can't get it because they discontinued Heart of Darkness a few years ago. They sometimes brew it randomly as a special offering, but never on any schedule.

I, too, would be interested in any feedback on this, as I really liked HoD when they made it, and being able to make my own would be pretty nifty.

Wow, I had no idea they weren't making it anymore. I assumed they were keeping it for just Vermonters. Even more reason to brew it I suppose.

I brewed the mini-mash version of this kit from AHS and was quite impressed. I kegged it so the characteristics may be different in the bottle but I would still recommend it. It's been a while since I had the Heart of Darkness from Magic Hat, but from what I can remember it was pretty close.

It definitely had the same malty-chocolate flavor upfront with the lingering coffee aftertaste. Color came out as dark as I remember, almost opaque. My only hang-up with it is that it fermented out a little drier than I remember. But that may fade with time (only kegged a month now).

Overall a great stout kit from AHS. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the original and even those who never had it. Reminds me of the the days when Magic Hat used to include it in their winter sampler.

Forrest could probably help you with this. He's a frequent member of the site. Shoot him an email and mention HBT and he might give you some info.

I have brewed HoD several times. my first attempt was with the AHS mini mash version and then went on to the All Grain versions as I upgraded my equipment. I have been very pleased with the results and everyone I share it with seems to be impressed as well.

I have never actually had the Magic Hat original, so I cannot comment on how close it is to the original.

In searching for more information on HoD, I noticed that Magic Hat uses different Hops than what comes in the AHS kit version. Magic Hat indicates a use of Warrior and Fuggles hops where AHS uses two additions of Northern Brewer Hops.

I am corresponding with Magic Hat to get confirmation / clarification of their actual hop schedule.

We have brewed the HOD kit from AHS several times, the guys in the family get all verclept when they know a batch is in the fermenter. It could be their favorite beer and I am very fond of it as well.

Latest posts

Back