Krausen in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Et-OH

Reaction score
Should a Krausen reform in the secondary? I have been transferring to a the secondary a week after pitching. I try and leave behind most of the trub and stuff in the primary, but this only transfers the yeast in suspension. Is this enough yeast to keep things going? Usually I only see a bubble every 1min or so in the secondary. Is this normal? Thanks.

You shouldn't see krausen in the secondary nor many bubbles. The main purpose of the secondary is to allow the ale to clarify.

I racked a pale ale that I used Danstar Windsor in and it was totally dead after a week in primary. After I racked it, it built a new krausen for a day and then subsided. I don't imagine I'll rack it again and it's totally clear now. You'll be fine. Just my $0.02 And yes, I moved it very gently with no aeration.

You probably might want to let it sit in the primary a couple extra days next time and maybe bump the heat up a couple degrees. If your ferment stalled the movement of the wort could have kicked started it again.

Where are you keeping your primarys?
Is it a bit chilly in there?

Thanx for the replies. This site is great.
I just picked a new spot for the carboys on the last two batches; in an indoor closet corner where it stays 60-68.
The krausen has mostly died back when I transfer. The last one I thought may have been early with an OG of 1.062 and 1.026 when transferring.

If the gravity was 1.026 at transfer, it was probably too soon. I agree with pumbaa. Find a warmer spot and wait longer. 60-68 is a little cool for most ales. I'd shoot for 68-70 for an ale.

i've been fermenting ales this winter at around 55-60 degrees in the basement. it just wont get any warmer. real slow ferments, but a real clean taste. i usually let them sit two weeks in primary, then another two to four weeks in secondary.

i sometimes see foam forming in the secondary, but it usually subsides after a few days.

Some of my lagers have left a Krausen in the secondary when I didn't let them have a long enough diacytl rest. No problem with it other than more junk in the bottom of the carboy that you have to be careful with when you rack out. The krausen will subside and clear out the beer. I usually leave them in the secondary for 3 to 4 weeks and haven't had a problem yet. All the ales I've done are usually finished fermenting long before I move them to the secondary.:mug:

Back