How cold is too Cold(Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrelsien

Reaction score
So I have my first lager fermenting, its in a guest house with the thermostat keeping it around 50 F. But it has been unseasonably cold the past 2 nights, and I don't think that the heat has kept the room right at 50 F over the nights. I checked today and the temp on the bucket was 44 F... I moved it to a warmer spot(near the back of a fridge).

I know that colder means slower. And I've heard slower means cleaner. But how cold is too cold?

Kit: Old World Pilsner
Yeast SAFLager

So does the yeast die/sleep/stop if it even hits below the range or do they simply work as efficiently... in other words do I need to re-yeast?

If it's still fermenting, it's not too cold! If the fermentation stalled at the temperature, then it needs to be warmed up. If a beer is fermenting well at 50 degrees, then a small temperature drop won't hurt it. Keeping a fermenting beer insulated (water bath, towels, a cooler, etc) helps keep the temperature more stable.

Back