First Batch Fermenting!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filmman03

Reaction score
Hey guys; been absent from the forums for a few weeks. Anyway; got my brew kit (black friday deal!) on friday and brewed my first batch yesterday. Been fermenting all day today... I'm doing the "Tiger Tank" Altbier

http://www.homebrewing.org/Tiger-Tank-Altbier_p_611.html

Anyway; my question is what do I do about the large amount of Krausen? It looks like it is about to go up the top of the better bottle plastic carboy and into the airlock.

PC020004.jpg

PC020003.jpg

Rig a blow-off tube, i.e. just run some vinyl tubing out the neck of the bottle and into a bucket of Star San (or something to keep anything nasty from getting in, though really it's probably not necessary while the fermentation is active, given how much CO2 is coming out). If the krausen gets up into the airlock, it can (potentially) clog it, resulting in pressure building up and blowing the top out, which in turn makes a terrible mess for you to clean up. :D

Rig a blow-off tube, i.e. just run some vinyl tubing out the neck of the bottle and into a bucket of Star San (or something to keep anything nasty from getting in, though really it's probably not necessary while the fermentation is active, given how much CO2 is coming out). If the krausen gets up into the airlock, it can (potentially) clog it, resulting in pressure building up and blowing the top out, which in turn makes a terrible mess for you to clean up. :D

gotcha. thanks for the tip :)

While you are waiting for a store to open to get a blow off tube (assuming you don't already have one) you can remove the airlock, put the carboy into a tub to catch the krausen to minimize the cleanup, and slip a piece of saran wrap over the top held in place with a rubber band. Poke a small hole in the saran wrap for the CO2 to escape (and any krausen). If the krausen does go over it will spill down the carboy and into the tub so you will have to clean that mess up but it is easier than cleaning the ceiling and walls.

While you are waiting for a store to open to get a blow off tube (assuming you don't already have one)

If you have 3/8" tubing for siphoning (which is almost a given?), it will fit into the bung hole perfectly. Wider tubing is better, since it's less likely to plug, but that will hold you over too.

woke up this morning w/ a small amount of krausen in the airlock; wasn't clogged or anything but i rigged up this blow-off system :) thanks for all the advice guys!

o and i got to experience the smell... OMG! smells freaking amazing!!!

photo-2.jpg

Back