Best Commercial Culture for Sour Blending Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I have this batch of Lambic that I tossed the belgian lambic blend into. Unfortunately, my JZ-style "ferment with cal ale yeast first, then add bugs" method didn't work so well. Despite mashing VERY high and fermenting VERY cold, and adding plenty of maltodextrin, I somehow still fermented down to 1.010 with the S-05, leaving very little residual dextrins for the bugs to eat. Now, I have a nice pellicle going, but I'm still not sold that it will be sour enough, so I'm going to make a 2.5 gallon blending batch. I want it to be as sour as possible, so that I might not have to use it all, and can save some for blending in the future. Anyway, I'm putting together an order at NB and I'd like to figure out which culture would be best for this. Little help? I know the Pedio would probably produce the sourest, but is that really the flavor I want?

5112 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis. Wild yeast isolated from brewery cultures in the Brussels region of Belgium. Produces the classic sweaty horse hair character indigenous to beers of this region; gueuze, lambics, sour browns. Ferments best in worts with lower pH after primary fermentation has begun. This strain is generally used in conjunction with S. Cerevisiae as well as other wild yeast and lactic bacteria. Produces some acidity and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Generally requires 3-6 months aging for flavor to fully develop. Apparent attenuation: Flocculation: medium. Optimum temp: 60°-75° F
#Y5112 Wyeast Brettanomyces Bruxellensis $8.99
EACH BUY

5526 Brettanomyces Lambicus. Wild yeast isolated from Belgian lambic beers. Produces a pie cherry like flavor and sourness along with distinct Brett character. Ferments best in worts with reduced pH after primary fermentation has begun, and may form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Works best in conjunction with other yeast and lactic bacteria to produce the classic Belgian character. Generally requires 3-6 months of aging to fully develop flavor characteristics. Apparent attenuation: Flocculation: medium. Optimum temp: 60°-75° F
#Y5526 Wyeast Brettanomyces Lambicus $8.99
EACH BUY

5335 Lactobacillus delbrueckii. Lactic acid bacteria isolated from a Belgian Brewery. This culture produces moderated levels of acidity and is commonly found in many types of beers including gueuze, lambics, sour brown ales and Berliner Weisse. Always used in conjunction with S. cerevisiae and often with various wild yeast. Optimum temp: 60°-95° F
#Y5335 Wyeast Lactobacillus Delbrueckii $8.99
EACH BUY

5733 Pediococcus cerevisiae. Lactic acid bacteria used in the production of Belgian style beers where additional acidity is desirable. Often found in gueuze and other Belgian style beer. High acid producer which usually increases overall acid levels in beer as storage time increases.
#Y5733 Wyeast Pediococcus Cerevisiae $8.99
EACH BUY

Hmm, I was going to suggest the Wyeast Roeselare Blend, but they list it as unavailable. I have a smack pack in my fridge that I've been saving. Looks like a great mix of Brett, Lacto and possibly some Pedio as well. You might call and ask if they have any. It could be that they have a couple of past-date pouches that they'd be willing to sell.

Chad

I don't want anything with Saccharomyces in it, as I already have way too much saccharomyces-fermented beer in the main batch. I'm looking to go with 100% bugs here, or else I'd just go with the lambic blend.

The lactobacillus won't do you much good after fermentation - it starts getting really bogged down and won't produce above 3% abv. It usually does most of the work at the beginning of fermentation. I also wouldn't use the pedioccous by itself because that's just asking for a diacetyl bomb (usually, pedio will be more sour, but needs the lactobacillus to clean up after itself).

The Brett L. produces more sourness than the brux, in both acetic and lactic terms.

That all said: (sorry for the cliche') but WAIT. My dubbel fermented down to 1.012 before I pitched (Brett L) and it's still mighty sour - about 7 months now. True lambic fermentations run the course of about 2 years from start to finish. You can also go back and add more maltodextrin if you really need to.

The lactobacillus won't do you much good after fermentation - it starts getting really bogged down and won't produce above 3% abv. It usually does most of the work at the beginning of fermentation. I also wouldn't use the pedioccous by itself because that's just asking for a diacetyl bomb (usually, pedio will be more sour, but needs the lactobacillus to clean up after itself).

The Brett L. produces more sourness than the brux, in both acetic and lactic terms.

That all said: (sorry for the cliche') but WAIT. My dubbel fermented down to 1.012 before I pitched (Brett L) and it's still mighty sour - about 7 months now. True lambic fermentations run the course of about 2 years from start to finish. You can also go back and add more maltodextrin if you really need to.

I knew you'd chime in, ya crazy bastid. Brett L it is. Even if my Kriek (which is what it'll eventually be) turns out sour enough, it never hurts to have a sour blending batch around...:D

thanks!!

Latest posts

Back