boiling caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I will be bottling my first brew next weekend. It's a pale ale from a kit that had the ingredients and recipe included. I have a co-worker that has been brewing for many years and he said it's extremely important to boil caps before sanitizing. The instructions included with the kit don't mention this step. Is it necessary to boil caps or is sanitizing with iodophor sufficient?

I go with the iodophor. If you boil them, you risk messing up the rubber seal in the cap that keeps it airtight.

+1 on letting em soak in sanitizer while you bottle. Boiling is overkill and can ruin the rubber seal that goes over the cap.

EvilTOJ said:
+1 on letting em soak in sanitizer while you bottle. Boiling is overkill and can ruin the rubber seal that goes over the cap.

Ditto - never boiled a cap, never had an issue.

I dip them in santizer now. I used to boil, but it takes more time, and I read the heat can sometimes damage the seal material. I set a small pot with sanitizer, dump in my caps, and do something else for a few minutes. Then I strain the sanitizer, and pull the caps right from the pan.

Back