Greetings + Explain headspace, plse...!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Hello forum,

Shiny new forum member here, based in Needham, MA (anybody local to me?)

I just got some basics from an acquaintance, 5 gal. glass carboy, 6.5 bottling plastic bucket (missing its sipgot, hmm), plus thermometer hygrometer, airlocks, etc.

I need to understand headspace requirements, as I sense it would impact my choice, should I get another carboy (glass_or_ BB).

I want to start with a 2.5 gal. partial boil method, to 5 gal. nominal (partial boil to lower requirements for highly effective cooling).

Currently I was thinking of getting started (yeah!) with my 5 gal. glass carboy, which, it seems, cannot accomodate a full 5. gal fermenation, making me adjust my batch size down a tad, correct?

Again I am just starting out, so there is room for upgrade, here.

- Will there be enough headspace in the 5 gal. carboy for a, say, 4.5 gal batch?

- Best carboy size purchasing options going forward..?

Cheers.

-j

I'd recommend springing for a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary right from the start. Using the 5, you are going to get huge blowoffs, or have to reduce the amount you make by adjusting your recipes - not worth it in my opinion :D

Keep the 5 gallon carboy for secondary/clearing, so that you can free up the big one for the next batch!

:mug: Cheers

I agree with Jester. If you get another carboy you'll be all set to use the 5gal as a secondary. Personally, I use 6.5g carboys for primary and secondary (well, when I'm not using a keg for secondary...) - there's certainly nothing wrong with making the most of what you have (using the 5g for a dedicated secondary) but I would recommend only getting 6.5g carboys in the future.

And, personally, I'd recommend better bottles over glass carboys. I'm very happy with mine - they're incredibly easy to clean (nothing really sticks to them, an oxiclean soak and they rinse clean, no scrubbing required), light, and unbreakable.

or a 6.5 gallon bucket (food grade) and then use your carboy for the secondary, where you don't want extra headspace.

If the bucket doesn't leak and the lid seals tightly, that would be your best bet for a primary fermenter. It's the right size and is probably drilled for an airlock & stopper.

Chad

If your bucket is drilled for a spigot, they can be found at your local home brew supply store (LHBS) or at a local hardware store.....

Hmm, Walpole. did not see that, thanks.

I was thinking Natick's Barleywine Brew Supply.

I am looking at your handle, "BigJohn" and wonder if you ever rode a Kawasaki 1100. if yes, we may have met at SquidMark's, the moto tire-balancing capital of the N.E....!??!

Back