BIAB. Say no to cotton.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeBrew

Reaction score
Hi.

Just want to add cement to the reason that you don't use cotton for your BIAB bag. If logic is correct.

On the weekend I did my first all grain brew with a cotton BIAB bag. When the bag got wet it would not let water through. This meant there was a layer of water that stayed outside if the bag. Every time I heated the mash the outside layer would boil, while the inside only slowly rose in temperature.

All completed I ended up with an efficiency of 58%. Not cool. It was also very hard to get the wort out of the bag. I'll get my wife to make one out of voile for next time.

On a side note. I had a bee hive move in next to the grains on my compost. Is this normal?

Edit: I was brewing Jamil's West Coast Blaster, by the way.

image-2385632402.jpg

Yes...I can believe a tight weave cotton could bind all to hell and clog and not let any runnigs through, but not being able to heat the mash at all wow...I like the poly Voile material

Back