Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to hit up the antique mall again, I recall seeing several trapdoor and adjustables over there.

only one guy at the local flea market with razors and he is a bit high for what you get... :/

its what i get for living in rural middle america.

There is two Antique malls on the same block, its right down from my work.

Good prices overall, and lots of oddball things, saw an old barbershop bloodletting bowl last time I was there.

azscoob said:
There is two Antique malls on the same block, its right down from my work.

Good prices overall, and lots of oddball things, saw an old barbershop bloodletting bowl last time I was there.

There are*

Wow how did I miss this thread? Bowl, brush, puck and straight for me. :)

One of my razors...
AtlanticCutleryCo02.jpg

Got it for 30 bucks at an antique shop and with a little clean up it is now in the rotation with my other straight razor. I really enjoy spending next to nothing in shaving supplies and shaving with something that is a hundred years old. Really puts those expensive cartridges that only last a week in perspective, lol.

Wow how did I miss this thread? Bowl, brush, puck and straight for me. :)

One of my razors...
AtlanticCutleryCo02.jpg

Got it for 30 bucks at an antique shop and with a little clean up it is now in the rotation with my other straight razor. I really enjoy spending next to nothing in shaving supplies and shaving with something that is a hundred years old. Really puts those expensive cartridges that only last a week in perspective, lol.

Nice! I posted a pic a few pages back of one I grabbed from my local antique mall, here it is after cleaning and honing, ready for its first shave.

shave_1.jpg

I have '53 Gillette Style Super Speed DE Razor TTO. I got mine for $20 I think. Looks just like this one. I love it! Good weight and can be used with most blades.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-53-...799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd57d91f

I also had a neat Schick Krona that I gave to my brother (only paid like $14 for it though) like this one. It was nice and light but loosened during use = blood letting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-BLACK-...378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6b1b5c4a

Omega Puro Tasso Badger hair brush, so nice and smallish so good for traveling.

I use Every Man Jack and Real Shaving Company products. Mainly creams, don't like the pucks. Feather blades don't like my skin, especially atg.

I have too many blades at work to keep in working order that the thought of keeping a straight honed and stropped is a bit off0setting.

The most comfortable shave I've had, and I've never used a straight/vintage-style razor or had a shave a shop, has been with the cheap Barbasol foam and the Schick Hydro 5. The least amount of cuts/blood for a shave when using something other than electric.

Current rotation one day the Schick, the next with the electric. Repeat.

I'd love to find something I can use everyday without the butchery. Also, if I don't shave in the shower or with a lengthy hot soak, any non-electric razor tends to tear me up.

I have too many blades at work to keep in working order that the thought of keeping a straight honed and stropped is a bit off0setting.

Honestly, once professionally honed, al it takess a few strops on a leather belt to keep it shave ready, my straight is plenty sharp since honing, and all i do is 20 passes on an old leater belt to keep it shave ready, I do this as the shower gets hot, a couple minutes tops.

The most comfortable shave I've had, and I've never used a straight/vintage-style razor or had a shave a shop, has been with the cheap Barbasol foam and the Schick Hydro 5. The least amount of cuts/blood for a shave when using something other than electric.

Current rotation one day the Schick, the next with the electric. Repeat.

I'd love to find something I can use everyday without the butchery. Also, if I don't shave in the shower or with a lengthy hot soak, any non-electric razor tends to tear me up.

I have found the modern crazy multi blade gizmos have done more to tear up my face than anything else. go on fleabay and search for a gillette tech, buy it, give it a good cleaning and load a cvs or walgreens DE blade in it, get yourself a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream from bath and body works and a Shea Moisture shaving brush from Target, check out youtube for how to build a good lather and give wet shaving a try, if you absolutely hate it, and are worse off for trying PM me with your total for the brush and razor and I will buying them off you. how is that for risk free?

Last edited by a moderator:
azscoob said:
I have found the modern crazy multi blade gizmos have done more to tear up my face than anything else. go on fleabay and search for a gillette tech, buy it, give it a good cleaning and load a cvs or walgreens DE blade in it, get yourself a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream from bath and body works and a Shea Moisture shaving brush from Target, check out youtube for how to build a good lather and give wet shaving a try, if you absolutely hate it, and are worse off for trying PM me with your total for the brush and razor and I will buying them off you. how is that for risk free?

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc

You're on.

You're on.

I look forward to your thoughts on DE shaving, it is a bit different than disposable, you basically let the weight of the razor do the work, way less pressure than when using a modern razor. check out some DE shaving how to videos, the guy that did the lather one I posted has a lot of good ones worth watching.

You're on.

Better yet, PM me your address and I will send you a pack of blades so you don't have to use the crap from the drugstore.

I look forward to your thoughts on DE shaving, it is a bit different than disposable, you basically let the weight of the razor do the work, way less pressure than when using a modern razor. check out some DE shaving how to videos, the guy that did the lather one I posted has a lot of good ones worth watching.

Yes, while a little cheesy sometimes, Mantic's videos are great for learning.

Better yet, PM me your address and I will send you a pack of blades so you don't have to use the crap from the drugstore.

Yes, while a little cheesy sometimes, Mantic's videos are great for learning.

Think he will hate it? or is he going to be a convert?

Yes, his videos are a touch cheeseball, but for a noob, quite easy to follow and understand.

Honestly, once professionally honed, al it takess a few strops on a leather belt to keep it shave ready, my straight is plenty sharp since honing, and all i do is 20 passes on an old leater belt to keep it shave ready, I do this as the shower gets hot, a couple minutes tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc

Thanks for the link, I watched a couple of his videos, very interesting!

Think he will hate it? or is he going to be a convert?

Yes, his videos are a touch cheeseball, but for a noob, quite easy to follow and understand.

I want to love it. I just want something smoother than the electric without the butchering when I don't shave in the shower.

azscoob said:
go on fleabay and search for a gillette tech, buy it, give it a good cleaning and load a cvs or walgreens DE blade in it, get yourself a tube of CO Bigelow shave cream from bath and body works and a Shea Moisture shaving brush from Target, check out youtube for how to build a good lather and give wet shaving a try, if you absolutely hate it, and are worse off for trying PM me with your total for the brush and razor and I will buying them off you. how is that for risk free?

I'm going to pretend you made me this offer :D

I've heard great things about Feather blades. Are they too sharp for a beginner though?

emjay said:
. . . I've heard great things about Feather blades. Are they too sharp for a beginner though?

Yes, I've read that also, that they may not be the best choice for new safety razor users. I use Sharks and they work fine.

I've heard great things about Feather blades. Are they too sharp for a beginner though?

Yes, feathers are awesome but you should not start with them if you want to keep your skin.

Feathers are sharp as hell, but at least for me they dull quickly, I get 2 good shaves out of them before they start pulling.

Yeah feathers are sharp, VERY sharp and they do dull quickly for me as well. I used Bluebirds, Persona Isreali Red's, Crystals, Feathers, Derby Extra, Gillette 7o's, Astra Superior Platinums. My favorites so far were the Derby Extra's and Astra's although a lot of people say they're dull.

I've bought blade samplers before from here (don't know if it's been said yet sorry)
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html

I can get probably at least 7 shaves out of a feather before I start to notice pulling. I am just used to using dull blades though because for years I would use the same cartridge for months. I refused to change it until it just completley started to shred my face. I still take DE blades further than I should but not too far since they are cheap.

Just bought 50 each of 7oclock greens and feathers. Should last me a while.

One of the best things about wet shaving - the blades are so inexpensive. I bought 100 Sharks for $17 on Amazon, with free shipping.

I picked up 100 sharks as well as 100 crystal blades of amazon, I also picked up a couple different bay rum soaps and splashes to try. gotta love the free shipping!

Holy @#$% my 1961 Fatboy is a nice shave!!!!

I got a little aggressive and found my face doesn't like the razor set above 7!

I ordered some more blades to sample with it. Seemed to like the Astra SP's but I'll give some other blades a try. I'll probably just PIF my leftovers like I did with my last sampler when I got into DE stuffs.

Don't talk about Bay Rum being nice... I have too much soap and cream to use up afrom my birthday!!!!

Now to spread the love and buy some cheap DE razor and brushes to gift people for Christmas stuff. Ebay has me hooked ><

Ah, Fatboys are supposed to be good too, or so I've read.

Scoob, you only going to give me that guarantee on just a gillete tech, or is any safety razor handle okay? :D

Also, is there a site that directly compares the handles (or whatever they're called), or at least has helpful reviews that would allow me to determine which of them is best suited to me?

I'm seriously considering getting into this because I have the
unfortunate combination of a really sensitive face (gets very irritated with modern razors making me end up looking worse than cystic acne), and a really thick, fast-growing, and curly viking-like steel-wool beard that both manual and electric razors have trouble chewing through it. The only electric shaver I've found that's capable of doing it is Panasonic's *absolute* top of the line foil shaver (extremely strong and fast motor that is waterproof, s5tr I can use in the shower), retailing for $400 (though "luckily" I found a way to get 50% off through an employee pricing program).
Ah, Fatboys are supposed to be good too, or so I've read.

Scoob, you only going to give me that guarantee on just a gillete tech, or is any safety razor handle okay? :D

Also, is there a site that directly compares the handles (or whatever they're called), or at least has helpful reviews that would allow me to determine which of them is best suited to me?

I'm seriously considering getting into this because I have the
unfortunate combination of a really sensitive face (gets very irritated with modern razors making me end up looking worse than cystic acne), and a really thick, fast-growing, and curly viking-like steel-wool beard that both manual and electric razors have trouble chewing through it. The only electric shaver I've found that's capable of doing it is Panasonic's *absolute* top of the line foil shaver (extremely strong and fast motor that is waterproof, s5tr I can use in the shower), retailing for $400 (though "luckily" I found a way to get 50% off through an employee pricing program).

But it's not very cheap just to use, nor is it very convenient to bring places, and overall it's still just not ideal, so I kind of want to look at getting a safety razor,.and maybe one day upgrade to a cryo-treated straight edge. But when it comes to ANY sort of equipment, I'm pretty anal about researching and making sure I get the best that I can, hence why I'm looking for direct comparisons and/or useful reviews.

dataz722 said:

I already knew of the site but there wasn't any real good side-by-side comparisons for beginners.

However, after a bit of reading, I think I'll just go with a used Gillette tech and a sample pack of blades from razorandbrush.

I really want a merkur vision, but damn that thing's expensive :D

Back