Questions about Dry Hopping.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I posted this before but nobody seems to want to touch it! Perhaps my title threw people off a little. I figured I would give this post another shot.

So I just brewed an Alpha King clone last night. I had to substitute a few things so I'm not really concerned about it tasting like the real thing.

It calls for .5 oz. Warrior and .5 oz. of centennial for dry hopping. I was thinking about adding some Amarillo but I don't know how much. You think Amarillo would be good? Do you think I should mess with it or will the ounce of hops be enough for a good aroma?

Also, How long should I let this sit in primary before moving it? I usually Primary for three weeks and then bottle. This is my first time dry hopping.

I love Alpha king but I REALLY love the aroma of Dreadnaught IIPA. Any Dreadnaught lovers out there? :rockin:

Would it be overkill to give this thing a real huge mango, peach, citrus, hoppy nose?

I just want to give this beer a great aroma. I don't want to ruin it though.

Any recommendations on what I could add to this dry hopping schedule? Keep in mind, I don't want to spend a ton of money on this. Maybe add another 2 ounces at most. That would be a total of 3 ounces for Dry hop.

If it helps, here is the recipe I Brewed up:

1/4 lbs. Crystal 80L
.5 lbs. Dingemans Cara 20 Malt (Lovibond 20)

7 lbs. Light DME

1 oz. Columbus @ 60 minutes
.5 oz. Warrior @ 30 minutes
1 teaspoon Irish moss @ 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial @ 5 minutes

.5 oz. Warrior DRY HOP
.5 oz. Centennial DRY HOP

Safale us-05 yeast

I won't be dry hopping for a few weeks so any advice appreciated! Thanks!

I think Amarillo hops would work well and impart a nice cinnamon and herbal aroma to your beer. I have used them before and had good results. Because you are using three types of hops for the dry hopping, I think you will have a broad and balanced aroma, so I wouldn't worry about it getting too strong or powerful.

When I dry hop my IPAs I've typically added 2 ounces of leaf (not pellet) hops to the secondary, let it sit for 2 weeks, then transferred the beer (without the hops) to a tertiary to let flavors develop and mellow. This method produces a subtle but present hop character. 3 ounces for 3 weeks will be stronger but probably fine, I don't think it will ruin your beer. You might know this already, but it's best to wait for the vigorous fermentation to subside before adding the hops. Happy Brewing.

Cheers

Back