Beer and Beef Stew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraveSirRobin

Reaction score
Last night I made some fantastic stew and wanted to share the recipe with you guys. This stew is really really good, especially on a cool evening, and best of all it uses beer!

A couple of slabs of bacon - chopped
2 onions - roughly chopped (I diced some and sliced some)
A couple ribs of celery - chopped
A couple of carrots - sliced
A few bay leaves

Heat some oil (I used olive) in a stock pot. Add the above ingredients and cook down for about 10-15 minutes.

Add:
One package of beef stew meat (I think I used like a pound and a quarter)
Tablespoon of flour
Pepper (I probably used a heaping tablespoon)
Salt (Three pinches of Kosher Salt)

Stir the above ingredients together until the flour coats everything lightly

Add:
Can of diced tomatoes
*you could use fresh tomatoes too, but you'd want to add them earlier in the cooking process with the vegetables*
16oz Beer (I added a pint of Sprecher's Pub Ale. I'd stick to darker beers like a Brown Ale or a Stout. But the beauty of it is you can try different beers and see how the stew transforms with whatever you try.)

Bring to a boil and simmer for awhile.

I had to leave for class after about an hour of simmering so I dumped everything into a crock pot on low for like six hours, then when I got home I put it back into a stock pot and cranked up the heat and cooked uncovered for about half an hour to thicken it up. I devoured this stew, it really is killer and super simple to make. I'm sure you could just throw everything into a crock pot, leave for work, and come home at the end of the day with a delicious piping hot stew.

You can really tweak the recipe too. Want it sweeter? Add a dollop of molasses to it. Want it hotter? Add some tobasco and red pepper. You could add more vegetables too. I bet cabbage would be good in it. Of course potato would be good too. Some herbs like Rosemary and Thyme would really add another level too. The possibilities are endless.

That sounds awesome, I have my mom's recipe for an Irish stew that is somewhat similar using Guiness. I have been eating that stew for 31 years. Mom used to put it the the blender for me before I even had teeth. Now I make it at least once a year myself around St. Patricks day. No wonder I like beer so much. Hmmm maybe I'll make it tonight, sounds really good, especially with a chunk of soda bread.

Back