LD Carlson co. no rinse-cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
I just got back from the LHBS. I went there to purchase a no rinse sanitizer in prep for bottling in a few days. All I saw was a 5 lb. bag of No-Rinse cleaner from LD Carlson co... I asked the store owner if this was a cleaner or sanitizer and he did say it was a "sanitizer".. Now after reading some of the posts on Sanitizing I am kind of second guessing him. If it was a sanitizer why wouldn't it say so??? It was the only "no rinse" product he had in the store. Does anyone have any info on this stuff? It is a powdered form, no directionsor anything on the label.

I am also really starting to question my sanitizing at the start of my first batch. I only mixed about 2 gals. of C-brite and kind of washed everything down with a wash cloth...equipment was new, so nothing was really too dirty. I hope everything will be O.K....I guess we will see:mug:

They didn't have Starsan or Iodophor????

Geez...It pizzes me off when they do this...or give onestep with new kits...uselss garbage.

It isn't TECHNICALLY a sanitizer because it doesn't meet the FDA's classification of a foodgrade sanitizer....

The official definition (Association of Official Analytical Chemists) of sanitizing for food product contact surfaces is a process which reduces the contamination level by 99.999% (5 logs) in 30 sec.

The pseudo cleanser/sanitizers like onestep or LD carlson, don't meet that criteria;
Idophor and Starsan both are FDA approved. They kill just about everything we need to worry about in food handling in less than a minute contact time, depending on the concentration.

The other ones can sanitize but take longer contact time....but the powder one's are really a waste for many reasons...you can't save and re-use it for one thing...

I pretty much explain the sanitizers/cleanser issue here , plus offer a bunch of tips...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Thanks Revvy, you are always quick with a response and very helpful. No, I didn't see anything but the LD Carlson stuff. It is a Hardware/Homebrewshop. Next time I need something I am going to drive a little further out of my way, there is a better place about 25-30 mins. away.

Should I not use it or do you think it will be all right for now???

I just looked on the Northernbrewer website also, and saw the other products you mentioned.

I am now going to read the link you had attatched on Sanitizing.

Thanks again.

Wait a minute. My LHBS sold me powdered sanitizer and told me it would keep for a month. So far I have only used powdered sanitizer and have had no problems. But tell me more about no being able to re-use powdered sanitizer. Do others save theirs and re-use it?

Just read that thread on sanitizing Revvy. There sure was some excellent info there. I think I may just order the iodophor or the star-san from Northern Brewer.

The thing that gets me the moost...really burns me, especially about one-step that I read awhile back, is that they CLAIM that the only reason it is not called a sanitizer is that they don't feel the need to pay the money to get FDA approval to prove that they are one...

Well F' them!!! I don't feel the need to send them any of my money for a half assed product either...

If it's too much trouble for them to get their product up to the kill ratio of Iodophor or starsan than it's too much of a risk for me to use it....

They are NOT hurting for cash..They have exclusive contracts with Mr Beer, and just about every other starter kit dealer, as THE PRODUCT including in the basic homebrew kits...

I like the fact that when I bought my kit, from my LHBS, the owner included a bottle of my choice of iodophor or starsan in the kit...I chose Iodophor then because my nephew uses it, so I was familiar with it at the time...

/rant

I believe Saniclean is also not listed as a sanitizer because of the FDA labeling costs. I dislike LD Carlson for other reasons. It's chlorine based, which is not the most friendly for stainless steel and aluminium.

I believe Saniclean is also not listed as a sanitizer because of the FDA labeling costs. I dislike LD Carlson for other reasons. It's chlorine based, which is not the most friendly for stainless steel and aluminium.

See, now I was under the impression that Ld Carlson was NOT a chlorine based product, which is why it is a no rinse.....maybe I am mistaken????

Confusing matters is the fact that LD Carlson distributes just about everything, including Easy Clean No-Rinse and One-Step, and they often have their name prominantly displayed. One-Step is a percarbonate cleanser. Midwest Supplies lists Easy Clean as a chlorine cleanser. I just checked LD Carlson's site and it lists Easy Clean as an oxygen-based cleanser, by which I assume they mean percarbonate.

I am now confused regarding Easy Clean, but I don't think it matters. The OP said he bought a five-pound bag. Apparently, Easy Clean is sold in a five-pound bucket whereas five pounds of One-Step comes in a bag.

Regardless, I am with Revvy. I am very pro-StarSan. What other sanitizer can be used from a spray bottle?

Back