I'm over carboys...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have the two glass carboys that came in my original kit from MW. I've never done a primary in either one of them. I can't see any reason (other than for those who insist on being able to watch BrewTV) why I should use a carboy when the white plastic bucket is superior in every way that I can see. I have come to this conclusion after five years' experience and many batches. If I need to do a bulk aging, maybe they get used, but more likely it'll be a Better Bottle, they're just so much easier and safer to deal with.

Buckets - Always my first choice for fermentations. Light, better, easy to airate, easy to add fruit or dry hop, easy to clean and cheap.
6.5 gal glass carboy - I've used it in a pinch for fermentations, but I would rather have 6.5 gallons of mead bulk aging in it and not touching it for a year or two. Cleaning it and moving it around makes me uncomfortable.
5 gal glass carboys - I keep these around for secondary or bulk aging mead. I trust them more for long term aging then Better Bottles. Cornies offer better protecton against oxidation, but I like to be able to see if I need to rack off the lees.
3 gal glass carboys - They're easier to handle, so I'll stick with them.
5 gal. Pyrex - Harder than glass, so I feel a little safer and it has a lip that makes it easier to hold onto. If I had more, I'd use them over regular carboys.
5 gal Better Bottles - I have two, but I don't use them much. They are a combinaton of the good and bad of buckets and glass carboys, but I'd rather just use a bucket or carboy as needed. I think their best use is as a secondary, but I rearly do that. So they mostly just sit until I run out of buckets for small batches or carboys for aging.

I started brewing with glass so I've always been partial to it.
I tried a bucket a couple times and my main complaint is that they are not as heavy as the glass so they tend to float up a bit in the party bucket I keep it in for temp control (filling the party bucket with water and ice bottles). The glass carboys just sit on the bottom of the party bucket no problem.

Also I like siphoning in the glass better than in the bucket because I can tell if I'm sucking up too much yeast and then I can adjust it accordingly (move the siphon up a little higher).

6 gallon better bottles only for me.. after i rack from one, just do quick rince, then half a scoop of oxy then fill it up to the brim.. let it sit a day or two then rinse out.. on the occasion where i'm too lazy to clean right away and some crud builds up in the shoulder of the bottle, just put some oxy in with a handful of rice, cap the top, and shake it up.. the slight abrasion from the rice cleans of gunk w/o scratching the inside.. since i have 4 of them and never had a problem no reason for me to switch to anything else

Over 17 years I started with buckets, went to carboys, tried a better bottle, used a couple V-Vessels, Dropped a 6.5 gallon carboy through the bottom of my brew sink, thought about stainless conicle .......... did the math....

Back to buckets. I still have a couple 5 gallon carboys for long term secondary of big beers. But I have 8 buckets, and that is all I use. Don't see myself ever using anything else again. I also now use bottling buckets with spigots for all fermenting - no more siphoning either. Buckets and spigots are really easy to clean. I replace spigots/buckets as I feel necessary because they are cheap. Have not had a single infection in the last 3-4 years since going back to only buckets (40+ batches per year). I would say I had more infections/problems with all other types of fermenters than with buckets.

To me, the biggest downfall of most other options is the simple fact that they are a PITA to clean. Not buckets.

Thats what im talking about.

aubiecat said:
Buckets are for hauling crap, glass carboys are for fermenting beer. Of course you can put crap in a carboy it's just not as easy as putting crap in a bucket.
Oh crap I need to go rack my cream ale out of my glass carboy.

That's some funny crap right there! :)

I use buckets for everything except I still have 2 three gallon carboys for long aging sours or cider .

I don't know why you wouldnt use them especially of you keg - 2 weeks primary in bucket, straight to keg - easy washout.

I'll buy a new few every year at more beer for $8 and use the old ones for storage

I started with glass only. When I ran out of fermenters I began using Corny kegs for fermenting. Eventually a carboy broke on me. Not fun. So I used corny kegs only for a couple years because I can fit more of them in my fermentation freezer. But about 3 months ago I decided to start using buckets after having never used one. And wow, I'm glad I did. I'll be using buckets from now on. When space is tight I'll use a corny, but not until then. And when I need to age a beer, I'll either use corny kegs or get myself a better bottle. One exploding carboy is enough to make you dislike them forever.

I just 'racked' a beer out of a bucket to a keg last night.

Since my spigot is a bit off the bottom of the bucket, I just set the bucket on the counter and drain the whole bucket right into the keg. Didn't even have to sanitize my auto-siphon or clean it afterward. Didn't even have to take the lid all the way off, if I didn't want to. Then I harvested 3 batches worth of yeast with an ice-cream scoop. None of these things is possible with a carboy.

If anyone finds clear or at least partially transparent buckets of 6-7 gallons with tight fitting lids, I would love to pick up a couple. I do like easily seeing the krausen and the volume in the bucket. 5.5 gallons is a little tight since I like to ferment about that much to get 5 gallons to bottle.

I started in better bottles, but haven't bought another since the first. Buckets are just too easy, and with oxyclean and a soft cloth there's no need to scrub them. There goes literally all the advantages of glass. Buckets for me.

Since my spigot is a bit off the bottom of the bucket, I just set the bucket on the counter and drain the whole bucket right into the keg. Didn't even have to sanitize my auto-siphon or clean it afterward. Didn't even have to take the lid all the way off, if I didn't want to. Then I harvested 3 batches worth of yeast with an ice-cream scoop. None of these things is possible with a carboy.

I didnt even think of the easiness to harvest yeast.

Yep -that is exactly what I do. After I have the bucket sanitized, I do put a sanwhich bag over the spigot with a twist-tie for length ofprimary fermentation, just to keep dust, dirt, etc., out of it. When primary is done, set it on the counter, take the baggy off, spray the spigot well with starsan, just in case, and drain to keg (or bottling bucket.) The yeast stays on bottom of bucket, once the beer is off, swirl it up, tip bucket to drain the last of what is in there into a couple sanitized mason jars to reuse the yeast. Just does not get much easier.

That's what I do too but with oxyclean! Great way to go, even when they are really grungy from a stout or something similar.

I still have my carboys and am not planning to get rid of them but I mainly use them for wine now. I ferment in sanke kegs and LOVE them. Being "able to see" is overrated after a year of brewing, IMO. Cleaning is cheap and easy with boiling water and a shaped carboy brush. It takes about 1 minute with a flashlight and inspection mirror to inspect the areas of the keg you can not see. As a bonus I can also do closed pressurized fermentation. Oh ya they are nearly indestructible. I use my old Ale Pails for sours and grain buckets now...

Tamarlane said:
I don't understand the general aversion to buckets, I ferment every batch in the same bucket I bought when I started brewing in 2008. Original lid as well. No infections no explosions no issues whatsoever. Easy to clean and aerate, only downside is you can't watch the magic happen.

I am glad you brought that up. I think there is a little over exaggeration about getting bacterial infections from scratches in the plastic. Exact same here...still using the buckets that were in my starter kit from 4 years ago with no issues. I think these micro scratches that you cant see are just a convenient excuse for infections coming from elsewhere.

Very enlightening thread!! I just started home brewing this past January and due to financial constraints, chose to use plastic buckets and have been a little worried the more batches I use my buckets for, about potential infections and off flavors but have had neither problem, so far. And I clean/sanitize very thoroughly I think. This thread really puts those concerns to rest. Cheers!

I am with you there for sure. I have several buckets and several carboys. I have found that I will always use the buckets first if they are available and last resort to a carboy.

Ditto for me. I have the carboys, I like them, but the weight and possible breakage issue just keep me going back to a bucket. In my experience, the work just as well, are MUCH easier to handle, and I have never had a single issue I could directly link to using plastic instead of glass.

I am glad you brought that up. I think there is a little over exaggeration about getting bacterial infections from scratches in the plastic. Exact same here...still using the buckets that were in my starter kit from 4 years ago with no issues. I think these micro scratches that you cant see are just a convenient excuse for infections coming from elsewhere.

I suspect that the tendency for the color/odor of the last batch to linger in the bucket contributes to this as well. It doesn't look or smell as clean as glass so it must be harboring bacteria.

I suspect that the tendency for the color/odor of the last batch to linger in the bucket contributes to this as well. It doesn't look or smell as clean as glass so it must be harboring bacteria.

Maybe, maybe not. And not all bacteria are bad/harmful.
And I've got no stains in any of mine yet, and have made one grape based wine in one and a hand full of other batches as well.
And as someone else already pointed out, plastic buckets are cheap so easy to replace.

I also just moved to Denver and now have to build a fermentation chamber for my carboys and what a pain in the but to have to lift them up and over into a keezer. I am thinking i should just buy a 7cu.ft chest freezer and 2 ale pales and be on my way with this already and cut out the annoyances.

Comments?

Do you still have the glass carboys for sale. I am local and interested.

Sorry, Already sold my 2- 15 gallon demi johns, and 6.6 gallon carboys. Already purchased my buckets with the cash and next purchase is an O2 tank and a chest freezer. Because one ya know isnt enough...

I can't really comment on carboys as I've never used one, all I've ever used is the plastic fermenters that are the common vessel here in Oz.

They do (to some extent) give you the best of both worlds in that being opaque you can see a little of what's going on and they have a wide opening screw top lid making cleaning rather easy. I have 2 x 16 gallon jobbies and 2 X 8 gallons

NorthNJipa said:
wheres the cheapest place to get a 6g ale pail?

Morebeer $8 buckets with the free $59+ shipping is the best deal I've seen

doing the rest of my beers in cornies using the closed-system pressurized fermentation system.

I'm working into this too... I hate the heavy glass carboys so use better bottles now. Besides, if I used the pails, I'd buy new ones each brew since I am so lazy about cleaning some times! :eek:

I'm working into this too... I hate the heavy glass carboys so use better bottles now. Besides, if I used the pails, I'd buy new ones each brew since I am so lazy about cleaning some times! :eek:

I don't care how lazy you are, an over night soak with hot water and about an ounce of PBW will clean anything out of those buckets, lines, siphons, and so on.

I don't care how lazy you are, an over night soak with hot water and about an ounce of PBW will clean anything out of those buckets, lines, siphons, and so on.

I don't know... I have an old crusty carboy (glass) that still has gunk inside... and beer hoses that grew legs and walk around (from sitting in the hot garage after a party). I wouldn't trust it... but normally would agree with you that it can be cleaned!

:mug:

I love my 6 gal BB's! I can still watch what's going on without the weight and danger!

Plastic all the way. I dont really worry about scratches much since I just use a soft towel to clean them out and nothing really goes in them that will scratch the bucket. Also a good bleach soak every 4 or 5 brews helps them to keep looking like new!

Plastic all the way. I dont really worry about scratches much since I just use a soft towel to clean them out and nothing really goes in them that will scratch the bucket. Also a good bleach soak every 4 or 5 brews helps them to keep looking like new!

^this^

Ok, made a G'Knight clone and used the buckets the other day. made a world of a difference, so much easier. I have wait to pop the lid, rack and then easily clean them out.

I used carboys for ages and was fine with them. Yeah, sometimes it sucks to have to be extra careful lugging them from where I brew to where I ferment. And sometime when cleaning them a couple times I almost lost my grip on them. Still, I kept using carboys.

Then one day my neighbor who also brews turned me on to top cropping. It's something he's done for years. At first I thought it was kind of neat. But the more I saw him do it and tried some of his beers where he was on his 5th or 6th generation of the yeast it kind of piqued my interest. So I went out and bought a bucket so I could try it.

Now I have several buckets. I love how easy they are to clean. I love not worrying about them shattering and shredding my flesh. I love how they are nice and light weight. They are not only great for top cropping from, but they also make dry hopping or other post-fermentation additions a breeze! My carboys are slowly being phased out.

I imagine I'll always keep a couple around for some beer I might want to leave in the fermenter for extended periods as the plastic can allow some oxygen transfer over time. But other than that I've come full circle in feeling that the benefits of the bucket far outweigh the potential cons.

I still love my glass carboys, but I have a pretty good situation in terms of the distances they need to be moved when full. They've got carboy handles and I keep them on towels and have to slide them across the hardwood about 10 feet. I have to lift them one time to the counter for each batch and don't find that to be a problem..though I do groan a bit, admittedly ;)

The thing I like about my carboys is that I'm a fermentation fanboy. I love to sit and watch the tornado in a bottle. If that ever wears off, I'll probably go straight to buckets as I've got nothing against them. I feel more knowledgeable of the process and in-touch with my beer since I switched to glass for my primary's. That's the only downside to a bucket, but that's just a personal reason. Nice thread, it's been an enjoyable read. Surprisingly civil too :mug:

Back