I need starter clarification...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
The way I understand it, I'll make a 1040 starter, pitch yeast, put it on the stir plate and 24 hours later it'll be ready to pitch into my beer. Is this correct? Any tips or additional info I should know? Thanks in advance! :mug:

Foil over the top or foam stopper. The yeast will do better getting oxygen during the start of the starter fermentation process. You also only need a constant stirring, not a huge vortex in the wort.

You can pitch the whole starter at high krausen, some prefer this, or chill for a day and pour off the liquid on top and pitch only the slurry from the starter.

I've done both and all were good.

I have done starters for my last 7 brews and I believe I have gotten better beer.

The way I understand it, I'll make a 1040 starter, pitch yeast, put it on the stir plate and 24 hours later it'll be ready to pitch into my beer. Is this correct? Any tips or additional info I should know? Thanks in advance! :mug:

Depends. What is the OG of the beer you are planning to make?

Seven is referring to high gravity ales or lagers that may require a large or stepped up starter to get the required population of yeast cells.

Check out mrmalty.com. For a 5.25 gallon batch at 1.055 ale it looks like you need a 1 liter starter.

Back