Stepped up from 1 gal to 5 gals AG! (Questions & Tips ?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-AB

Reaction score
So I believe I have successfully completed my first 5 gal all grain brew. Will a 42 qt stainless boil pot that I installed a kettle valve and bazooka screen and a 5 gal rubbermaid water jug that I also installed a kettle valve on and a braided screen on the inside. I connected a 1/2" hose for transferring back and forth.

Everything went well, I am just looking to fine tune and clear up a few things!

1) My main issue with both the kettle and the mash tun seemed to be clogging, especially when sparging. After the mash the wort flowed out pretty well but when running through the rest of the sparge water it went very very slow. Is there anything I can do for the clogging, or just something I have to deal with? We ended up scraping the grains away from the screen to allow the water to flow through.

When sparging we heated 5 gal to 170 F in the boil pot and collected the wort in a 5 gal bucket until the pot was empty.

2) Is there another way to go about this where you can put the wort directly into the pot but keep the sparge water at 170 F?

3) I am also wondering about hose size, I know you should keep the wort out of contact with air as much as possible but the 1/2" never fills. Is this not a major problem or should I look at a smaller hose?

Thanks for you input!
Already looking forward to starting the next brew!

Happy Brewing!

Back