Aromatic, petillant, dry cider by bottling with fresh juiced aromatic apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pith

Reaction score
The following will be my second cider, so I'm still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed about being ridiculously experimental. The first cider I did was 2:1:1 juiced Gala, Sundowner and Granny Smith, but I decided I wanted more than 4 litres of cider so I dumped in 9 litres of store bought juice. It tastes better than Strongbow/5 Seeds cider, but not much.

Anyway, so I was thinking that I could make a nice, dry cider with sweet (Fuji, Sundowner, Gala) and acidic (Granny Smith, Jonathon) apples, then when it's fermented to dryness, I would do a practise bottle using bottling sugar as recommended for a specific bottle size (ie 2 teaspoons for a 750mL bottle or whatever it may be) somewhere on the internet, then test gravity of the sugared solution, then to the rest of the cider in the bottling bucket I would add the juice of an aromatic kind of apples until the gravity was at a corresponding level, then bottle it. The aroma would be saved because it can't escape the bottle, right?

It seems like such a nice idea. From what I can gather, a dry aromatic cider is "out of style" with regards to BJCP guidelines. Not that it matters since I'm Australian and probably won't be entering any competitions anyway, but I can't imagine why such a nice idea is "out of style". :(

you can't make something out of bjcp style guidelines, it just CAN'T BE dOnE
i make cider more or less like you describe, mixing desserts and sharps, i think it's a good and fairly common strategy. it can be spruced up even further with some crabapples for tannin.
i have also used fresh juice to prime for carbonation. the thing is, the amount of new juice you need to add to get low to medium carbonation is extremely low and isn't going to give you a a ton of fresh apple flavor. i calculate the amount of juice needed by estimating the brix value added when using a conventional amount of priming sugar (0.5 brix, 0.002 gravity points, 5 grams per liter), reading the gravity of the priming juice, and extrapolating how much is needed, ignoring the small change in volume upon addition. generally comes to 65-75 mls juice per liter of cider. you get a bit more sediment than with sugar, depending of course on how cloudy the fresh stuff is and how clear the fermented stuff is.
i age at least 6-8 months from start of ferment, usually 1/2 the time in carboys and 1/2 in bottles, my dry ciders really need time to go from unpleasantly tangy and yeasty to dry and delicious and crystal clear.

you can't make something out of bjcp style guidelines, it just CAN'T BE dOnE
I don't mind making something out of style, it just seems like a shame that such a nice idea is considered a no-no.

i have also used fresh juice to prime for carbonation. the thing is, the amount of new juice you need to add to get low to medium carbonation is extremely low and isn't going to give you a a ton of fresh apple flavor ... generally comes to 65-75 mls juice per liter of cider.

It's aroma I'm looking for, but it's probably the same deal... Hmm... What if I used a REALLY aromatic kind of apple? Or even decided to make a sparkling, dry cider with extra priming juice? Apparently McIntosh is very aromatic, but it might be tricky to find in Australia. My grandmother says she used to love them but hasn't seen them around in decades.

Back