Wyeast 2633 Oktoberfest help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I currently have a oktoberfest fermenting at 52F. Pitched 4 days ago, simple recipe:

80% Vienna
20% Munich 20L
3oz hersbrucker at 60

1.054 OG

Does anyone have any experience with WY2633? Does it need a d-rest?

Should I leave it in the primary for 3wks then rack to lagering vessel?

Thanks.

My general practice for lagers is to ferment for at least 3-4 weeks then move to secondary for lagering. A d-rest certainly couldn't hurt the beer, but you should really be checking for terminal gravity and tasting your sample for diacetyl.

The rest is easy to do, so why not? To answer your question about the yeast, I love that yeast and have never had an issue with it. However, I chill my wort way down to avoid the diacetyl precursors, and do not do a rest later.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but my question seems relevant to the topic...

What styles of beer have people pitched on this, outside of the obvious Oktoberfest? My Oktoberfest has been fermenting/lagering for over a month now, so I'm assuming I need to pull it off this cake, and I'm wanting to reuse it.

Wyeast recommends several other styles. Rauchbier, Baltic Porter and Vienna Lager

Actually, I saw that on their website, but I was curious what all experimentation people had done with it. This is my first lager, so I'm definitely not very experienced with lager yeasts.

I'm actually thinking about pitching an Irish red on the cake, as that's something that might be appropriate with the maltiness of this yeast.

Back