Cleaning questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
So i'm a brew newbie (brewbie, if you will), and I just got my first keg set up (just a keg, CO2 tank, and regulator), but i'm having trouble cleaning it all.

First of all what products would you recommend for cleaning purposes? I have P.B.W. for a stain-scrubber, and B-T-F for a sanitizer, but I've just been using dishwashing soap to clean everything.

Second of all HOW DO YOU CLEAN THE TUBES? ha, MAN what a pain... Do you just do the best you can and replace them as need be? What about the tube that connects the keg to the nozzle/pourer? Should I yank that pourer off there? Otherwise I have to put my finger into the part that hooks into the keg, and push down a button (while holding the nozzle down) to allow any water flow. Combine this with the hassle of getting soap/sanitizing products down there and my finger is pretty damn sore by the end of it.

Oh and another quick question. When I bought my CO2 tank from my LHBS, the guy said it was full. It was probably only at 950PSI. By the time I was done with my first kegged batch, it had dropped down to about 550-600. Now when I disconnect it, it's back up at about 800. Is this normal?

Thanks a ton guys!

For keg lines and faucets, you actually should use Beer Line Cleaner (BLC), which also uses a pump to push the cleaner through the faucet threads to your tap end.

And yes, when cleaning the lines, and whenever changing kegs, always clean the taps and faucets. Use a small faucet/tap brush to clean those out.

The link below is an example of a cleaning set. CK-1P 1 Quart Beer Line Cleaning Hand Pump Kit | BeverageFactory.com

As for your pressure question, is the tank in a fridge? Do you have a leak on your keg?

You don't have to push that button down. Take a flat head screwdriver and unscrew the top, there will be a plunger, spring, and a washer. I just soak my kegs over night in oxyclean no need to scrub. I pressurize the keg with a shot of co2 then lightly push down on the out post, it will fill the tube with cleaner.

Then when I rinse, I hook up a picnic tap after the keg is clean, and push some clean water through it to clean out the tube.

Back