Should I be concerned this will cause a stuck mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
The stainless steel braid got pretty mangled in my last batch (also, my first batch in my new tun). Should I be worried about this causing a stuck mash? It doesn't seem very cost-effective to keep replacing these things. I think I may just go with a bazooka screen.

YUrrSLa.jpg

Mine is worse than that and still works fine. Those things get mangled up pretty bad.

I would cut it off shorter I don't think it needs to be that long

Did it get mangled from stirring or the weight of grain?

I have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon round 5 with braid and 10 with kettle screen and no stuck mashes in either although I normally use the 10

Tinhorn said:
I would cut it off shorter I don't think it needs to be that long

Did it get mangled from stirring or the weight of grain?

I have a 5 gallon and 10 gallon round 5 with braid and 10 with kettle screen and no stuck mashes in either although I normally use the 10

Not sure. Could be either. It did get broken in with 14 lbs of grain on top of it.

Based in what AlllenH said above and the fact that its didn't get stuck with 14lbs of wet grain sitting on it already I bet you are fine

Also if you get the kettle screen it was a little too long for my 10 gallon round and had to bend the end of it up to fit if you decide to go that way
Again no expert here just relaying my experiences ! My advice is free and valued at that amount ! Happy brewing !

I guess for my next brew I'll cut it at the crushed part. That should still leave me 9" or so of screen. The springs are a good thought too. If I can find a coupler to go from my 3/8" spigot to a 1/2" bazooka screen I may go that route next. Thanks everyone.

Back