Fly Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
This is a simple question from a simple mind that will probably require a simple answer. If you fly sparge a five gallon batch for 45 minutes, is the time the same or doubled for a ten gallon batch???

Assuming that you are running it off at about the same rate, and why wouldn't you? Yes, about twice as long! Hope you have a good fly sparge system and bal valves. Then just kick back and drink! Good luck!

Yup, I try to plan on a 2 hour fly sparge for 15 gallons. Most times I speed it up a little, probably at the cost of efficiency (but 80% or better works for me!).

No, It's not twice as long for me, and I'm not sure why this works but with a ten gallon batch I open the valve a bit more and keep more of a layer of H2O on top of the grain bed, about two inches.

I think it has to do with the depth of the grain bed, but if I try to rush the sparge with a 5 gallon batch I lose efficiency big time. Not so with 10 gal.

So, my sparge times are 45 min, for 5 gal/ 60 min for 10 gal. Go figure. -p

perry said:
I think it has to do with the depth of the grain bed, but if I try to rush the sparge with a 5 gallon batch I lose efficiency big time. Not so with 10 gal.

So, my sparge times are 45 min, for 5 gal/ 60 min for 10 gal. Go figure. -p

Same thing here. 10 gallon batch takes around an hour.

Back