No bubbles 3 days later!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
So I pitched my yeast in my brew house kit http://www.brewerylane.com/beer/brewhouse.html Bought from my local brewery supply store. essentially it contained a bag of already boiled all grain wort, yeast, sodium biocarb (or something like that. a balancing agent anyways) and some bottling sugar.

I pitched the yeast 3 days ago it bubbled ferociously with krausen for a day or two, at day one it was in a cooler but I decided against that and shook the cooler a bit and siphoned everything into a 23 glass carboy and put a blow off on it, it bubbled and foamed hard for another day or day and a half and now all bubbles have ceased leaving a 3/4-1" cake in the bottom of my carboy.

any idea if this is good or bad? I'm picking up a hydrometer tomorrow so I'l be able to tell you guys the gravity as well.

Edit- My kit is the munich dark lager. which I believe is a fake lager.

and all my questions I will ask here from now on for this brew

First stage of fermen5ation is vigorous - no worries, it's beer. Leave it a couple of weeks and check the SG.

Cheers

First stage of fermen5ation is vigorous - no worries, it's beer. Leave it a couple of weeks and check the SG.

Cheers

So just because there are no bubbles does not mean there is no fermentation going on at the moment? I thought Co2 was the by product of fermentation?

Jrpmdood is right. fermentation (sugar converted to alcohol and CO2) can happen quickly and last for only a few days sometimes. Bubbling is only one sign of active fermentation. You need to check gravity to know if you're done with fermentation though. You should get same reading a few days in a row. Even if it's done, leave it for a couple weeks to condition. Congrats, you've made beer!

at day one it was in a cooler but I decided against that and shook the cooler a bit and siphoned everything into a 23 glass carboy

Absolutely no benefit to moving it. If anything, you lost yeast in the transfer and introduced a risk for infection.

But if your fermentation continued strong for a day, you probably didn't hurt it. Just don't transfer so quickly in the future.

Glad to hear you got it out of the cooler and into a carboy. Relax and watch the show for the next few weeks. you may or maynot have an issue with oxydation later on, never shake a fermentor once it has started; but you will still enjoy your own first brew. I generaly primary only, 3-4 weeks and cold crash for a day or two before bottling. The cold crash drops all the sedement to the cake. Read up on bottling in the mean time and plan your next brew. Congrats & Chers.:)

Airlock activity means next to nothing, the vigorous fermentation could have gone out the airlock but when it slowed it may have found an easier path to escape. No big deal though, let it ride a few weeks and you'll be good.

It's initial fermentation that is the most vigorous. After that,it'll slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. Shaking wasn't a good idea,but since you did it near the beginning of fermentation,it'll likely be fine. What makes you think it's a fake lager? Did you get ale yeast with the kit (like Cooper's OS lager)?

It's initial fermentation that is the most vigorous. After that,it'll slowly,uneventfully ferment down to FG. Shaking wasn't a good idea,but since you did it near the beginning of fermentation,it'll likely be fine. What makes you think it's a fake lager? Did you get ale yeast with the kit (like Cooper's OS lager)?

I believe I did get coopers yeast, it was in a yellow metallic package and I never looked at the name.

Back