Using California Lager yeast for my Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Hey all,

I stopped by the LHBS today to pick up supplies for tomorrows brew, and decided I'm going to do a double brew day. On a whim, I decided I was going to try an Oktoberfest w/Ale yeast.

Now, my ideal yeast would have been a Kolsch, but unfortunately my brew shop doesn't seem to keep a lot of yeast stocked.

Anyway, after looking through the wyeast pamphlet, I decided to go with a California Lager yeast. It says it provides a maltier taste and no fruityness. It also ferments lager characteristics up to 68 degrees.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to build a Son of fermentation chiller or not, so I need some advice..

Will this yeast work if it happens to creep a little above 68? If so, will I have off flavors?

I might just build the damn SOFC and go get a normal Oktoberfest yeast.

Sorry about the long post.

a lot of people who can't lager use this for octoberfests. why not use a swamp chiller or the large bucket of water with the fermenter inside it and add frozen soda bottles to keep the temp down. i use these methods and can keep my temps in the mid 60's in a 74ish degree room no problems.

a lot of people who can't lager use this for octoberfests. why not use a swamp chiller or the large bucket of water with the fermenter inside it and add frozen soda bottles to keep the temp down. i use these methods and can keep my temps in the mid 60's in a 74ish degree room no problems.

How accurate are your temps? The reason I'm looking into the Son of Fermentation Chiller is because it's got a thermostat on it. Also, I'm out of the house sometimes for a few days at a time. Monitoring a swamp chiller might be a little tough.

So much for good yeast. I didn't have the time to make a starter, the pouch never expanded.. I pitched it, hoping it just needed more time....nothing. I'm hoping it's just got a really slow lag time because of not making a starter.

So, after about 36 hours, my airlock is finally bubbling a tiny bit. I'm afraid to open it up to see what's going on, but I also hate to trust that airlock I guess. Is this normal with lager yeasts when you don't use starters? Also, can I expect it to pick up speed after a few days of the yeast building up their armies, or should I go get another pack of yeast like I planned anyway?

Is this normal with lager yeasts when you don't use starters? Also, can I expect it to pick up speed after a few days of the yeast building up their armies, or should I go get another pack of yeast like I planned anyway?

Yes it is very normal for lager yeasts to start off very slowly without a starter. That is the main reason for doing large starters when using lager yeast. The activity will continue to increase for a couple of days, and since the yeast is working already I really do not see a reason to add a 100 billion cells to the population.

Ed

+1
Lagers are slower and take a lot longer to ferment. I doubt even if you opened up your bucket you'd see anything.

As far as controlling your fermentation temperature. I built one of these:
DSCF0955.jpg

This was my first build. I've built several now and working on building one inside a closet.

How accurate are your temps? The reason I'm looking into the Son of Fermentation Chiller is because it's got a thermostat on it. Also, I'm out of the house sometimes for a few days at a time. Monitoring a swamp chiller might be a little tough.

I wasn't trying to convince you not to build the SoFC, just letting you know there are ways to keep temps down in the meantime, before you get it built.
you were saying in your original post that you wouldn't be able to keep the temp down on this next beer, etc. I was giving you the easy low tech way to keep the temp below ambient for this next batch, and fully understand why you want to build the SoFC for future use.

I wasn't trying to convince you not to build the SoFC, just letting you know there are ways to keep temps down in the meantime, before you get it built.
you were saying in your original post that you wouldn't be able to keep the temp down on this next beer, etc. I was giving you the easy low tech way to keep the temp below ambient for this next batch, and fully understand why you want to build the SoFC for future use.

Thanks for the info. And I am doing exactly as you suggest with the swamp chiller until I get a chance to build the SoFC this weekend.

+1
Lagers are slower and take a lot longer to ferment. I doubt even if you opened up your bucket you'd see anything.

As far as controlling your fermentation temperature. I built one of these:
DSCF0955.jpg

This was my first build. I've built several now and working on building one inside a closet.
I want to know how you cut your edges so clean. My SoFC is the most pitiful thing in existence. It makes me want to take it out back and put it out of it's misery. I spent all that money on it and it barely worked, kept trying to fall apart too. I bought a freezer and a brewer's thermostat, and called it done. Wish I hadn't wasted the money, though...

I've heard there's two different types of foam. One falls apart when you cut it, another doesn't. I think you're supposed to get the pink stuff, not the blue. Not sure which you chose. I've cut the pink stuff before with a table saw and it worked very nicely. Hopefully it will cooperate as much when I build my SoFC.

sorry to retrive a dead thread but i had questions about the cali yeast. do you have to lager it at cold temps after fermintation or just do like a 4 week secondary at normal (lets say 65 degree) temps?

I didn't have the ability to technically lager at the time I brewed this, but it turned out good. I did a 4 week primary, stuck it in a keg, and then put it in the fridge for 3 months. Since it's a hybrid yeast, it's not absolutely neccissary to do a lager step, but it certainly helps.

So i will transfer to a secondary because i want to clear my primary for a brew this weekend. Would it be all good to do secondary for 2 weeks then keg it and toss it in the kegerator for a month or so? If so should I carb it or just let it sit? uncarbed with a layer of co2 on top?

Back