English Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
I want to make my first English pale ale all from grain and i have several questions:
I'm now making malt i want to know what is the temperature and the time for roasting green barley for this type of beer ? what is the temperature for water in mash tun and how long should i let the grain sits in mash tun ? how long takes the fermentation in primary ? and every advice about making English pale ale is appreciated.

You want to malt your own barley you mean? I don't really know much about doing that.

The temperature for the mash varies based upon what kind of beer you're going for. In general, the higher mash temperature will create a more full-bodied beer. If you just want to shoot for average then 153-155 degrees F (67-68 Celsius) is a good temperature. Mash it for an hour, and keep it in primary for about three weeks.

yes i'm malting my own barley and don't know what is the right temperature for roasting barley for pale ale which i sure it's very different for different types of beer.my first batch was very dark because i roasted barley at high temperature for long time.(150 Celsius for 2 hour) and mash temperature was 70 degrees C and mash it for an hour.i didn't taste it because it's in primary now.

Back