Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
As I was looking into how much Carbing sugar to add to an ESB I question entered my brain.

In the Beer Recipator site one question is

Beer temperature at bottling

WHY!

I would think Beer Temp at storage. Is this just a default question hoping storage and bottling will be the same?

And for that matter why bother at all. shouldn't it be some totally default temp because they have no clue what temp storage will be at.

Beer "holds" more co2 at colder temperatures. When I've pulled beers out of the lagerator, they actually seem a bit "carbonated"- very bubbly as opposed to the beers that were sitting at room temperature. Typically, I let it warm up a bit before bottling, though, so I just go by room temperature in the calculator.

When you pull a beer out of a place of cold conditioning, the airlock will go crazy as it warms up and the co2 comes out of solution. It's not fermenting, though, it's just the co2 being released.

When you pull a beer out of a place of cold conditioning, the airlock will go crazy as it warms up and the co2 comes out of solution. I

YEA - I noticed that 10 minutes ago as I moved a carboy from the basement to the kitchen - about 12 degrees. bloop bloop!!

So I agreed with you, but then I found this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/palmer-wrong-about-priming-sugar-113546/

I can understand that the starting temp has some effect on carbonation, but I have a hard time believing that the final serving temp isn't more important.

The final serving temperature is important - just not in determining the volumes of CO2 dissolved in it by fermentation of the priming sugar. If you know you are going to be serving a beer cold then you may want to increase the amount of priming sugar you use so the carbonation level tastes and feels appropriate when you drink your beer at that colder temperature.

GT

Back