Proper volume of water per pound of grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
I'm new to this homebrewing business and really enjoy it so far. I'm looking to make my fourth all grain batch this weekend and am wondering about the proper ratio of water to pound of grain. The standard seems to be 1.25, but the book I've been reading by John Palmer says to use anywhere from 1.5 to 2. What do you recommend, and what difference will the variation have in the end result?

Besides impacting your sparge volumes and any effect on mash pH, I believe the thickness it pretty inconsequential. I tend to shoot for around 1.5 qts/lb, but am willing to adjust one way or another if it makes the volumes come out a little more convenient. I have read on here that people tend to recommend 1.25-1.5

Doesn't matter much.

If you decide to make a big beer (i.e., barleywine) you'll want to reduce the ratio just to get it all in the mash tun.

I've heard thinner mashes improve mash efficiency, but I've not seen any difference.

Don Rickles? Your not old enough to know who he was!

I've recently fallen in love with 1.25 qt/lb for overall efficiency, taste, and sparge volume (which affects the efficiency). Do whatever seems to work on your system. Don't stress...You'll add the water earlier or later, simple as that, don't worry.

Weird huh when you look at the grain bill and figure what would be best knowing your system. And even better when because you know your system you can figure strike water and everything and hit the right temps

Mine is a quart and a half per gallon with adjuncts and a quart and a touch for everything else

I've tried different ratios ranging from 1.1 to 1.5 q/lb. I've personally had better efficiency results with a 1.5 ratio. Most people say it doesn't really matter as long as its between 1 and 2. I would test each ratio for yourself and see what kind of results you get, then just stick with whatever you like.

As reflected by coincidence in the thread I started the other day:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/effects-grist-water-ratio-320371/

....my question was answered in some really impressive research done by "Brewkaiser" in this wiki article:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Effects_of_mash_parameters_on_ferm entability_and_efficiency_in_single_infusion_mashi ng

Which is.....it's really not that big a deal. As always, there are cases where YMMV. As someone mentioned, you may need to mash thick just to get a big beer in your mash tun, and you may want to do it to obtain a specialized flavor (an English bitter was mentioned). But, overall, as several contributors have stated, 1.5 -2 qt. / lb. and it'll be good.

Back