Just letting you all know I am starting my own brew pub someday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Currently a 21 year old college student and studying business. I started homebrewing in December and I want to be an entrepreneur. I have only just begun to read up on how to open one, but I decided today I am going to take a leap of faith and just go for it. I realized I have never been so passionate about something than with home brewing. I may fail, but I won't reach 60 and look back on my life and regret not trying to open my own brewpub.

That is all.

(oh and Sam Calagione's book "brewing up a business" just came today and the first chapter got me fired up lol)

Ahhh yes, I remember when I jest started brewing and said the same thing. Then I decided Id rather just enjoy the fruits of my own labor like so many before me.

That said, I wish you the best in your business if and/or when you start it.

Out of curiosity what Business school? I work in IT at a very prestigous B-School

Ahhh yes, I remember when I jest started brewing and said the same thing. Then I decided Id rather just enjoy the fruits of my own labor like so many before me.

That said, I wish you the best in your business if and/or when you start it.

Out of curiosity what Business school? I work in IT at a very prestigous B-School

I currently go to Virignia Tech, Pamplin School of Business.

for the same reason , I plan on winning the lottery, and opening a strip club....in my garage. I hope the swmbo doesnt mind ;)

(oh and Sam Calagione's book "brewing up a business" just came today and the first chapter got me fired up lol)

Maybe so, but wait until you read it all. Reality and all...

If you do, best of luck, but do your research before you jump in. Do not attempt unless you have AT LEAST 250K to get you through the initial outlay and a year (maybe two depending on location) of overhead.

Dont expect to have a glamorous lifestyle or work 50 hrs/wk.

Best of luck my friend. I'm in the same boat at 21 and a finance student. It looks like I'll end up in the finance dept of some firm, but long run I'd love to make brewing into a money making career.

Good luck brother! I have 13 years to decide if I want to open up a brewery. Uncle Sam needs to pay for my retirement first though lol.

I said the exact same thing when I was a new brewer. It's a noble dream, and sounds very exciting, but you'll be met with many cold hard realities. I am not trying to discourage anyone from pursuing this goal, but be prepared. My wife and I still toy around with business ideas revolving around brewing, but the more we look at it, the more it looks like we'll have to wait until retirement.

If you haven't already, watch "Beer Wars" and see just some of the challenges in being the "little guy."

Best of luck,
TB

Yup, combine a brewery and a restaurant and you have a lot more management going on than most can handle. With a brewpub, you are essentially running two businesses at once- the restaurant and the brewery.

Latest posts

Back