Measuring Alcohol Percentage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SjbSam

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have recently bottled some elderflower wine and was wondering how i could test the percentage of alcohol volume in it like there is on the side of a bottle of wine. I heard that you should measure it with a hydrometer before you add the yeast, and then after but I did not measure it then so is there a way i could measure it after i bottled it.
Thank You,
Sam

You could take a hydrometer reading later when the wine is ready to drink. Then do the calculation based on your original gravity (OG) reading (OG=before fermentation). If you did not take an OG reading, then the kit likely had an expected OG... which is pretty accurate.

I think he indicated that he didn't take an original gravity reading... sorry sjbsam, its pretty much all bets off at that point. Supposedly, if you take a hydrometer reading and a refractometer reading you can calculate the original gravity from that, but that can be a bit off too, and a refractometer is at least 30$ on ebay if not a lot more from a LHBS or an online homebrew shop..

Back