Shaving Blows

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that Merkur set! my razor cost a bit less, it was 11 dollars shipped, I just bought an adjustable Gillette, 1950's model, 14.99 shipped! and someday when I get some spare cash, I'm going to pop for one of those Merkur razors, very well made.

Merkur Futura, Silver tip badger, bowl, stand, 3 sets 10 Feather Platinum, and Proraso tin = WAY more than I anticipated. But will be worth it IF I can have a shave and not feel like I have a sunburn the next day or break out.

GilaMinumBeer, 99.75% of the time, I have zero irritation using the Fusion blades... Get nice close shaves, without the burn, unlike many times with older razors (1, 2, 3 blades per head all sucked ass IMO)... I also like being able to get above my ears just as close (need to do the old pull and shave there)...

I would be concerned about doing that with the SE razors, and not slice myself open in the process.

If there was a Sam's Club still in my area, I'd probably just get my blades there. I might be signing up for a BJ's membership soon (hear they have cheaper propane refills) and will have to see if I can get the blades cheaper there. Still, I typically go well over a month between times when I pick up the small set of refills. Usually going at least 2 weeks on a single blade refill.

Personally, I wouldn't dump a lot of money on shaving gear, unless it came with a hot, sexy, mostly (if not fully) naked woman to shave me every day... :rockin:

My hot, sexy, rarely naked woman complains about my stubble since I have settled in on only using a trimmer for years to avoid the carnage. I hope to change that.

Have tried the single and muti combinations of just about everything on the shelves and all have the same result. Have tried all manners of pre and post creams, oils, and meditative chants and have the same result.

Have used Remington, Norelco, and Braun. Holy mother! Much worse for me.

This packet of coin is a last resort.

My hot, sexy, rarely naked woman complains about my stubble since I have settled in on only using a trimmer for years to avoid the carnage. I hope to change that.

Have tried the single and muti combinations of just about everything on the shelves and all have the same result. Have tried all manners of pre and post creams, oils, and meditative chants and have the same result.

My wife loved it after the first time I shaved with the new DE. I believe the exclamation was, "Your face is so smooth!".

I'm interested in seeing how well the Feathers work for you since they have the reputation of being a very aggressive blade. My favorites are the Personna Platinums and the Wilkinson Swords.

Be careful of those Feathers! they are quite possibly the sharpest blade you can buy. I would hate for you to fillet yourself on your first shave.

I would hit up wallymart and get some Wilkinson Sword blades, they are under 2 dollars for a 10 pack and are more forgiving on your first few shaves than a Feather would be.

If you're interested in trying a few blades out I'd recommend getting a sampler kit with a few different blades in it and seeing what works for you.

I've bought pretty much all my shaving gear from this guy and he has good prices and wonderful shipping: http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/blsapa.html

My wife loved it after the first time I shaved with the new DE. I believe the exclamation was, "Your face is so smooth!".

I'm interested in seeing how well the Feathers work for you since they have the reputation of being a very aggressive blade. My favorites are the Personna Platinums and the Wilkinson Swords.

Be careful of those Feathers! they are quite possibly the sharpest blade you can buy. I would hate for you to fillet yourself on your first shave.

I would hit up wallymart and get some Wilkinson Sword blades, they are under 2 dollars for a 10 pack and are more forgiving on your first few shaves than a Feather would be.

If you're interested in trying a few blades out I'd recommend getting a sampler kit with a few different blades in it and seeing what works for you.

I've bought pretty much all my shaving gear from this guy and he has good prices and wonderful shipping: http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/blsapa.html

Yes. I am well aware of the potential of said Feathers (Surgical grade edges). Be not wary as the Futur also ships with a set of Merkur blades which are described as very non-aggressive. According to the hours of bleeding eye reading on the B&B web.

GilaMinumBeer said:

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am eagerly anticipating your review on the de you bought. If it's good I will also pull the trigger.

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Cheers

I have been using C.O. Bigelow shave cream, its 5 dollars from Bath and body works, it is a pretty good cream that lathers great! I finish with a splash of witch hazel. and I must stress, dont push on the razor, let the weight of the razor do the cutting.

Im sure you already know that from B&B

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am eagerly anticipating your review on the de you bought. If it's good I will also pull the trigger.

Do you have a link to the one you bought?

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WA1C4G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Royal Shave has it for $10 less but I found shipping to be higher.

I finish with a splash of witch hazel. and I must stress, dont push on the razor, let the weight of the razor do the cutting.

Im sure you already know that from B&B

I opted for the Persona Green tin for the cooling Euchalyptus.

And yes, I am aware of the technique. The trick is to make my hand forget it ain't no Mach 3. :D

I have used a DE a LONG time ago. Was part of my fathers kit. An Old Spice brush and Bowl. Not sure what brand butterfly load tool he had.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shave once a week whether I need it or not. I typ use the same disposable razor for like...a year. And Edge...which lasts for two-tree years.

Guess we're lucky. I don't get any noticeable "shadow" - if that's what you want to call it - for almost two weeks. I shave because I like to shave. Last time I shaved was Saturday, and I am still pretty smooth. People think I shave my arms and legs and chest but I just don't grow much hair on my body.

Guess we're lucky. I don't get any noticeable "shadow" - if that's what you want to call it - for almost two weeks. I shave because I like to shave. Last time I shaved was Saturday, and I am still pretty smooth. People think I shave my arms and legs and chest but I just don't grow much hair on my body.
Most people's hair is thicker than my 'whiskers'. As I get older, the parts that are supposed to grow hair don't and ones that aren't...do.:( At this rate, I'll be shaving my ears daily in 20 years.

Most people's hair is thicker than my 'whiskers'. As I get older, the parts that are supposed to grow hair don't and ones that aren't...do.:( At this rate, I'll be shaving my ears daily in 20 years.

I'm almost there now... :eek:

Used to be once a month, then every couple of weeks, now it seems like very ~10 days... Don't forget about nose hair too, and your eyebrows going loooooong...

At least it's only my head that's going bald... Well, the one on my neck at least... :eek:

I bought a Braun 7 series about a month ago. It ROCKS on my cheeks, but my chin/throat aren't nearly close enough, and I get two ingrown hairs repeatedly. I might try a DE and see how it does. If so the Braun is going on ebay.

B

After 6.5 years in the army, mandatory daily shaving, I'm rocking a permanent 5 o clock shadow bordering on short beard. No more shaving, just a trim with the clippers with a #1 guard once a week. Shaving is a crux.

I bought a Braun 7 series about a month ago. It ROCKS on my cheeks, but my chin/throat aren't nearly close enough, and I get two ingrown hairs repeatedly. I might try a DE and see how it does. If so the Braun is going on ebay.

B

Close enough is personal preference thing.

What in your opinion is not close enough? Do you mean you can see the stubble or feel it?

I can see it and feel it, even with multiple passes in every direction. Some of the ingrown hairs I end up tweezing before I shave.

I do have to admit I like how fast the electric is over lathering up.

B

I used to love the 2 week beard look, but now that it comes in more gray than not I do not like it.

I use an old fashioned safety razor, makes shaving enjoyable instead of routine. I would never go back to multi-blade or electric.

Try wet shaving. Check out the badger and blade forum, lots of good info. I used to hate shaving, now it is an enjoyable morning ritual, and my skin isn't always irritated and red.

That is a great site with a bunch of really great people on it.

Personally, I wouldn't dump a lot of money on shaving gear, unless it came with a hot, sexy, mostly (if not fully) naked woman to shave me every day... :rockin:

You don't have to drop a ton of money for wet shaving. You could get everything for about $25-30.

I have tried a few and hated the swords. So far my favorite by far is the Green 7 o'clocks.

What I've suggested to my friends is to pop on eBay and pick up a Gillette Fatboy or Slim (both adjustable) and try it out with a loaner brush and Williams puck I have. If they don't like it, they can easily resell it for around the same price and be out just a few dollars shipping. So far not a one of them has gone back to shaving with anything else, and several have progressed to SE shaving.
Wet shaving is excellent!
The friend of mine that turned me on to it bought a fixed depth Gillette DE razor at an antiques store a year or so ago and cut himself every day until very recently. I picked up a puck of Williams at Wallyworld and used the old Slim I picked up at an estate sale with a boar bristle brush years ago and was hooked.
It takes time at first to shave with a DE razor. The first few times I shaved with it, it took fifteen to twenty minutes, but as I've progressed, it takes less time than it took to shave with my old Fusion or Mach-3, and I have never had irritation like I have with electric shavers or disposable head razors. Plus, the savings is excellent!

Cordless, but I guess they all are now adays. I like the rotary head ones, but I've used others and they are OK too.

Pretty sure you'll see the straight razor crowd show up soon :)

and it has now officially devolved into a razor-instead-of-shaver thread. Okay, not a straight-razor thread, more of a DE/SE thread -

but what about ELECTRIC SHAVER recommendations, as the OP asked?

my cheapo Braun foil never irritated, but isn't very close. I've been shopping too....

(twice a day if I'm going out in the evening :( )

GilaMinumBeer said:
Got my Futur today. GAWD this thing is a brick! No **** let the razor be the weight.

Sooooooo how did it go?

I ended up reading for hours on DE shaving and watching YouTube videos. I opted for a 1950s gillette super speed and a new lords premium. I got the badger brush, the before, during and after cream. A 20+ sampler of blades oh and a styptic pencil.

Hey guys I shaved this morning. Last time I shaved was April 3. Started to grow a little peach fuzz so it had to go. As I said I don't grow much hair but I would LOVE to see what it feels like to grow a stache, beard, or goatee.

They always advertise something called "The Man Groomer" on The Stern show but I have never seen or used one.

Being a stay at home dad I haven't shaved or trimmed my facial hair for close to 2 years. I'll admit that its a mess but its nice at the same time because people leave me alone. . . Hehe

I've always had a job that required daily shaving so its kinda fun letting myself go to see what I end up with.

Sooooooo how did it go?

I ended up reading for hours on DE shaving and watching YouTube videos. I opted for a 1950s gillette super speed and a new lords premium. I got the badger brush, the before, during and after cream. A 20+ sampler of blades oh and a styptic pencil.

I've not actually used it yet. Sort of intimidated by it because of the weight.

The day before this thread aired I had submitted myself to a shave with a Mach 3 for the wife (our anniversary) and I have been waiting for the carnage of that action to heal before risking any outpatient surgery with this new Merkur.

Hoping for the best, planning for the worst.

I got my can of Proraso yesterday and expect I'll give the razor some blood over the weekend.

Well, I shaved today after all. Only nicked myself once and even then it was a bump to begin with (not anymore). Had a hard time getting any real lather going on my badger using Proraso. Will have to look into that.

The tool was easier to use than I anticipated but, it did get heavy after a while. I started on a 1 but that wasn't close enough and I dialed it in to a 2.

I guess I will know more in the next day or two.

Getting a good lather is a bit trickey on a soap puck, especially when it is new. I gave my puck a good belt of hot water for a couple minutes to soften it a tick, and I still didnt get a good handle on lathering for a few shaves.

give this a view:

Last edited by a moderator:
He also has a load of good videos on more advanced techniques, and tips for reducing ingrown hairs as well, I figured you might be interested in that one.

Getting a good lather is a bit trickey on a soap puck, especially when it is new. I gave my puck a good belt of hot water for a couple minutes to soften it a tick, and I still didnt get a good handle on lathering for a few shaves.

give this a view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc

Thanks. I will watch but, I used a Proraso Green pot. That **** is soft as cold cream.

He also has a load of good videos on more advanced techniques, and tips for reducing ingrown hairs as well, I figured you might be interested in that one.

Never have had issue with ingrown hairs. Always the burn tho.

So far, so good. I usually feel some irritation by now after a shave.

Maybe one of us needs to start a wet shaving thread, since there seems to be a few of us on here, and this thread seems to have been hijacked by the single blade users anyway.

Hang Glider said:
but what about ELECTRIC SHAVER recommendations, as the OP asked?

my cheapo Braun foil never irritated, but isn't very close. I've been shopping too....

(twice a day if I'm going out in the evening :( )

My facial hair is so coarse that it pretty much kicked the ass of every electric razor I tried. But my skin is so sensitive that manual razors sucked too. So even in high school, I was often sporting a viking-like beard (oh yeah, that definitely made me one of the cool kids!)

The best electric razor I've found BY FAR is a Panasonic ES-LA93-K foil razor - http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...ers/model.ES-LA93-K_11002_7000000000000005702

Pretty damn expensive for a razor, but the thing can cut my steel-wool-like beard, and since it can be used with a shaving gel/cream, as well as in the shower, I can get an extremely close shave with no irritation.

So being the OP I figured I would update.

I ended up getting a DE wet shaving set up and I must say that after a week I have been getting the best shaves of my life. No irritation and nice close shaves.

It was cheap to get in to as well. For anyone else that thinks shaving blows I suggest you try it.

Cheers

So being the OP I figured I would update.

I ended up getting a DE wet shaving set up and I must say that after a week I have been getting the best shaves of my life. No irritation and nice close shaves.

It was cheap to get in to as well. For anyone else that thinks shaving blows I suggest you try it.

Cheers

Congrats on going old school, Like yourself I was amazed at the great shave I could get!

I am proud to admit, I shave like my grandfather. :rockin:

Congrats on going old school, Like yourself I was amazed at the great shave I could get!

I am proud to admit, I shave like my grandfather. :rockin:

Those guys got me to try it too. I used to just 'shave' with my beard trimmer without the guard maybe 2-3 times a week. Now I'm shaving every morning and miss it when I don't shave.

I got started for less than a new pack of mach3's would cost...

Its good you are happy with it! :D

I shave in the tub. Something about having your skin wet and the hot water really helps for some reason. Get a mach 3 and some good shaving cream like neutrogena.

I shave with hair clippers, twice a week.Let it grow some then trim it,who cares. Im not payin that much for razors.I could buy a 12 pack of beer for that rip off.

Back