Dumb hop related question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
If I am using hop pellets during my boil (or during dry hopping for that matter) is there any sense in using a muslin bag? Will it keep my beer any clearer or will it limit my hops qualities? Or just pitch it and quit wondering?:ban:

I've never used a bag, but I do use a secondary, so when I rack my beer into the secondary, the hops stay behind in the primary and my beer clears in the secondary. I have heard of people using the muslin bags for hops, but I do not have any input on that as I have never done it.

I wouldn't use a bag during the boil; if you dry hop in a carboy dring a secondary fermentation a bag may be easier to remove and keep the beer free of the broken down hops.

I always bag hops now. Just make sure the bag is extra large to allow movement. My beers are sufficiently bitter/hoppy as I would expect them to be based upon the recipes.

If I'm not going to use a secondary I use the bag with pellets, but you don't have to. If I'm not going to use a strainer when I transfer the wort to the carboy, I use the bag, but again, you don't have to. When I use whole hops I use the bags as a rule, especially if the brew I'm making needs a blow off tube. The last thing you want is hops blocking that. Hope this helps.

I always use hop sacks with no more than an ounce in them,tied all the way at the end to allow plenty of room for expansion. works just fine,& keeps things cleaner.

Back