Fermentation Problems?? Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DosGatosBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After a few all-grain batches of ale, I decided to try a Bock. I chilled the wort to about room temperature and pitched the Bavarian lager yeast ( smack pack), and then put the fermenter in the 50 degree basement. OG was 1.065. I had let the pack warm to room temp, but I didn't let it swell. After a day or so of no fermentation, I brought the fermenter into the main house at 72 degrees, and fermentation really took off.
Back to the basement. After a couple of days the weather warmed up and I put the fermenter in the 50 degree fridge for about a week. FG was about 1.02, so I put it back for a couple of days, but no improvement. Ferm is finished, so I racked it over to secondary.
Now the scary part--I tasted it and it was awful. I can't say it was butterscotch or cidery. It was just a nasty flavor all around.
Now it is sitting in secondary in my 50 degree fridge again.
I know I went about this all wrong; other than RDWHAHB is there anything to do to improve the flavor for this batch?

Lager fermentations are usually quite slow. 50F sounds about right, and I would have been surprised if you HAD visible fermentation before 24h. Moving it up to 72 so quickly was premature, and could be responsible for the off flavors. How long did it stay at this temp? At this point, a good long lagering is likely your best bet.

So now is the time to actually lager it, which is how you get rid of the off flavors inherant in fermentations using lager yeast. Now you get it as cold as you can, and walk away from it for at least a month...or more.

Back