Winter Seasonal Beer Old Fezziwig Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on brewing this soon.

I don't have a large enough kettle for mashing all grain for this (although I may spring for one), and a full volume boil. And I do BIAB anyways as I don't have a mash tun etc. So going for a BIAB partial mash and then extract enough to bring up the ABV.

Will then compare side by side with a real Old Fezziwig. So long as Sam makes it this year of course (they make interesting choices with their varity packs sometimes).

Have you tried omitting a gal or 2 during steepping? Then rinse the bag into the kettle with the remaining water, which will get you to boil vol . The grain will be out. Depends on your kettle size.

So. Still in secondary. But I nailed the OG and FG. Seems like a bit too much cinnamon. I used 1.2oz. Could use more ginger and orange peel.

Any thoughts on a 1-gallon version of this? Is it simply a matter of dividing by 6,or might there other factors to consider?

Should just be able to divide by 6. It will leave you with some odd amount totals which if/when rounded to something more manageable could change the outcome of the final product. But for the most part yes most recipes are scalable up or down.

reviving an old thread :mug: I have the grain for #40 post, I'm using EKG for the hops. Not sure about the spice and orange additions. I was thinking adding a few whole cloves and maybe one star anise pod for variety. Should I use powdered ginger or fresh, same with the cinnamon.

Back