Free beer fridge -Which T-stat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Was speaking with my BIL yesterday at a family get together and I started telling him I was brewing my own beer. As I started telling him more I mentioned that I needed a fridge and he said he had several in storage at his shop. I said that I saw a nice black one but was told that he was going to use it for a beer fridge and he said it was no good because the fridge kept freezing the beer and pop put in it and that I could have it if I want. :ban: :ban:

Needless to say I'll be all over that one. The fridge is a black Danby without freezer unit inside. It appears to easily be large enough for a few ball lock kegs and CO2 tank. :ban:

Now the questions are:
Will a test of the top of the fridge render it useable for a draft tower?
What thermostat should I buy? One with the digital readout so I can do a brewbelt and cooling, or a regular dial one that controls just cooling?

I plan on attempting to fix the thermostat in the fridge itself, so I was thinking digital just so I could keep the fridge cold using normal means, but to use the stat to warm a fresh batch of lager so it could firment in that same fridge.

Looks like I'll owe him a batch of my next brew.:mug:

Back